Before starting construction work, you need to carefully study the features and technologies of using the material. The consumption of putty must be carried out even before the trip to the store, because an incorrectly calculated amount can delay the repair for a long time.
Types of putty and scope
In order to choose the right putty, it is necessary to study well the characteristics and features of the operation of each type of this material.. According to the scope of application, the putty is divided into several types..
- Leveling – this type is used in the initial stages of repair, with its help you can carefully level the walls or ceiling, as well as hide various surface defects. The material dries quickly and is practically impossible to sand. The leveling putty is applied to brick or concrete. If you do not apply the finishing putty, then you will not be able to glue the wallpaper on the surface or paint it.
- Finish – it is applied in a thin layer, it prepares the surface for finishing. Due to its fine-grained structure and plasticity, walls and ceilings are smooth. The layer thickness is 0.5 cm, but it must be applied in several layers.
- Universal – it can be used for both starting and finishing. This type is suitable for any surface, guarantees a smooth finish without flaws. The material has a high level of strength and is easy to putty. But the cost of universal plaster is quite high, but even novice specialists can work with it..
Putties also differ in the level of readiness: there are dry and ready-made. The first type has a powdery composition and is sold in sachets of 5 – 25 kg. Shelf life is one year, the material must be preserved in dry form.
The finished putty is sold on a latex and water-dispersion basis in special containers. The special substances contained in this material ensure the durability of the product..
Also, putties are distinguished according to the basic basis:
- On gypsum basis – the composition contains gypsum, polymer additives and all kinds of fillers. This product is ideal for rooms with low humidity levels. Such a putty is safe, odorless and has an affordable cost, thermal insulation, elasticity, fire resistance..
- On cement basis – the product is suitable for facade and interior work. The composition contains cement, sand and water. When the putty dries, the surface must be sanded. It is recommended to apply the diluted mixture within 24 hours..
- Polymer – used for coating cement, concrete, gypsum and polyurethane surfaces. Differs in high cost, but environmental friendliness and safety.
- Acrylic – designed for finishing stages, namely, for thorough leveling of the surface for its future finishing. The product is resistant to damage, high quality and safety.
- Latex – it is often used for drywall, niches or arches, but it does not withstand low temperatures. Differs in plasticity and strength. It is easy to work with it on drywall even for a novice builder..
- Water-dispersive – designed for plastering walls and ceilings made of concrete, brick, aerated concrete, wood, stone and other materials.
- Oil and glue – it is used on wood and concrete surfaces to decorate walls and ceilings with paint. Works well on wet surfaces.
- Facade – designed for outdoor use, has moisture resistance, durability, fast drying speed.
- Spacril – special putty for skirting boards and leveling walls after plastering.
Among such a wide range of putties, it is quite difficult to choose the optimal type, therefore, in case of difficulty, it is better to immediately contact a specialist.
What determines the expense?
The consumption of each type of material per square meter is calculated individually. So, for example, some types of putty must be applied in several layers, and in some cases, just one layer with a thickness of 0.5 mm is enough..
Material calculation also depends on the surface. If there are a lot of irregularities, cracks, differences in height on it, then more putty will be needed. Therefore, if you are building a building yourself, try to keep defects as small as possible..
Also, the experience of the builder affects the consumption of material, because the more experienced the master, the better his work will be, and he will spend less putty.
How much putty is needed for a room can be found out by making preliminary calculations. But keep in mind that the quality of the prepared mixture also affects the consumption..
How to calculate?
In order to buy the required amount of putty for construction work, you need to know exactly the perimeter of the room and the height of the walls. The calculation can be done independently, knowing such information as: the sum of the length of all walls in the room, the height of the walls. It is also necessary to take into account the width and length of the walls, as well as the thickness of the application of the material..
The calculation of material per square meter is carried out according to the formula:
- the consumption rate of the putty per 1 m2 is multiplied by the thickness of the surface defects;
- the length of all walls in the room is summed up;
- the length of the wall above the doorway is multiplied by the height in the same area, the sum of the height of the walls is added to the result;
- the result of the first action is added to the sum of the lengths of all walls, this result is multiplied by the resulting number of the third action.
To calculate the cost of putty per 1 sq. m, you need to divide the price by the number of kilograms of material.
One bag of putty is enough for everyone in different ways – it all depends on how many layers to apply and in what quantity.
Each manufacturer in the table of characteristics indicates its own numbers, which depend on the chemical properties and type of material. For example, 20 kilograms of the finished mixture of the finishing type will be enough for 38 – 40 square meters..
Use of popular brands
Doing renovation work for the first time, you will surely face the problem of choosing a high-quality putty.. It is best to opt for the products of well-known companies with a good reputation.. Of course, the cost of such putties is higher, but they mix well, are easily applied to the surface and do not crack over time..
- The brand is in demand Ceresit, in its assortment there are putties of various types for both starting and finishing. For example, Ceresit CT29 is used to work with brick, concrete, cement surfaces. You can apply the mixture an hour after mixing, and it dries up in 15 hours. Ceresit CT 225 is intended for finishing, resulting in a smooth and durable surface.
- Putties “Prospectors” and “Hercules” – materials that are appropriate for use in rooms with high humidity levels. The mixture can be applied even to damp walls, they are durable, reliable and durable. “Prospectors” are supplied in sturdy 5 and 20 kg bags. Such a putty is produced on the basis of white cement.
- Latex putty “Tex” is very popular among craftsmen. Regardless of the layer thickness, the mixture has strength and long service life. The material is elastic, does not leave unnecessary marks after pulling the trowel along the wall or ceiling. A large selection of color shades allows you to please every customer.
- Noteworthy putty “EK”, which is used to eliminate defects on foam concrete, cement and gypsum surfaces. The mixture is used for sealing joints, it is applied in a thin layer, thereby preparing the walls or ceiling for painting or wallpapering. The product is easy to use, after drying it creates a high level of strength.
- Company Knauf offers a wide range of putty mixtures: ready-made and dry products, gypsum, cement, finishing, starting, waterproof, etc. After application, the mixture makes the surface even and smooth.
- Putties “Vetonit” have earned a huge number of positive reviews, thanks to a wide range of species and excellent characteristics. Mixes of this brand can be used in various conditions. The price range allows you to please every customer.
- “Scanmix” – putty for outdoor use, made on the basis of cement, therefore, has increased moisture resistance. In addition, this mixture is resistant to low temperatures. Also, the product is environmentally friendly, it is safe for both the environment and human health..
Wall decoration is carried out in several stages, for each of which a specific type of putty is intended: starting, universal, finishing. Accordingly, each mixture has its own recommendations for application..
- Starting putty is consumed in large quantities due to its coarse composition. It should be applied twice, but in between, the first layer should dry completely. The layer thickness should not exceed 8 mm. For relatively flat surfaces, experts recommend applying from 0.9 to 1.2 kg per m2, the thickness of both layers is 11 mm. Exceeding these factors will lead to the formation of defects on walls or ceilings in the future..
- Finish applied in a thin layer, therefore, it must be purchased in smaller quantities. To get a smooth surface, the work will need to be done carefully, because the layer should not exceed 1 mm. In this case, you will use 0.7 kg per m2.
- Universal fillers are used for leveling walls and for finishing. Approximately 20 kg are consumed per 25 m2. But experts advise using a finishing putty for finishing the surface to obtain a better and more durable coating..
It will not be possible to make accurate calculations regarding the costs of the putty, the results may be approximate. But when making calculations, it is imperative to pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions, which are indicated on the packages..
Do not forget that the consumption data is indicated based on a layer thickness of 1 mm. It is recommended to increase the obtained result by about 10%, since when working on a spatula and on the walls of the container, unused material always remains.
How to calculate the consumption of putty, see below..