Every person has to use glue in his life. It can be different, including rubber. It is rubber glue that is attracting more and more interest. It is worth familiarizing yourself with its varieties, features and characteristics, learning how to choose a quality product, and also consider the instructions for use.
Rubber glue based on rubber has found wide application in many industries and spheres of human life. It can be applied to work with a wide variety of materials.
The rubber adhesive remains flexible even after it has completely cured. This is its main feature, for which it is valued and chosen for working with elastic materials. In solid state, it resembles rubber as much as possible.
When choosing an adhesive, you need to pay attention to the composition. It should be as close as possible to the parts to be glued. Some manufacturers use synthetic rubber instead of natural rubber. And also each of them uses their own recipe..
In most cases, the recipes are unique. The characteristics of the final product, operational properties and characteristics strongly depend on the recipe used..
There is a large amount of rubber glue on the domestic market. You can choose transparent or industrial, elastic or very durable, for different purposes and materials. In any case, all these substances will have a similar composition. Rubber glue is a natural rubber that is diluted in a solvent. Therefore, when talking about a rubber product, we always mean a rubber adhesive..
As a solvent, substances such as:
- chlorine compounds;
- ethyl acetate with nefras.
The first two options are toxic and are used in minimal quantities. The latter solvent has received much more use. To reduce fire hazard and toxicity, water-based latexes are used. Although such a composition is safe, it is characterized by less stickiness..
In the glue, which is created from natural rubber, resins and polystyrene with a low molecular structure may be present. Their number in the mixture is limited, otherwise the elasticity of the seam is lost.
The role of hardeners is played by agents that are selected according to the rubber used. In most cases, metal oxides and sulfur are used. Amines are well suited for cold vulcanization. And also in the rubber glue contains plasticizers. Mineral oils do an excellent job with this role. Ethanol serves as a stabilizer to prevent gel formation. Carbon black is used as a filler.
The composition, as you can see, is complex and varied. Each manufacturer has a unique recipe that cannot be disclosed..
The production of rubber glue is regulated by GOST. The mixture that meets these standards is of the highest quality.
The division of rubber glue into types is carried out according to two main features: the amount of dry residue and the peculiarities of the composition of the rubber.
The production of rubber adhesive mixtures is carried out in accordance with GOST 2179-78 and TU. According to these regulatory documents, the amount of dry residue can be from 6 to 8% and from 8 to 12%..
The product belonging to the first category corresponds to the brand A. Products from the second category are assigned the brand B.
Depending on the composition of the rubber, several types of adhesive are distinguished..
- Natural rubber based material may not be used in all cases. For example, for some areas of industry, the use of such an adhesive is unacceptable. The reason lies in the low resistance to aggressive conditions. And also the natural component is not able to withstand high temperatures..
- Chloroprene material contains divalent metal oxides. Such glue is more reliable, durable and resistant when it comes to the impact of aggressive factors. For working with metal, glass, plastic and wood, it is better to choose just such a substance..
- Nitrile butadiene rubber makes the mixture waterproof, which determines the scope of its use. Although sulfur is present in the composition, the recipe also assumes the presence of thiuram.
- Silicone rubber allows you to create a special glue. It requires tetrabutoxylane to harden. This glue is used to work with homogeneous rubber.
- Styrene butadiene rubber serves as a raw material for the manufacture of industrial rubber glue. It is characterized by weak adhesion properties, therefore it is used most often for the production of scotch tape..
These are not all the types of rubber that are used to create the rubber substance. Other options are less common and the use of such mixtures is limited..
It is worth familiarizing yourself with the brands that are available to the Russian user:
- Great the rubber sealant is produced by a Russian manufacturer. This brand is well known to everyone – 88 N. This glue is applicable to many materials, it is highly reliable and durable. It is perfectly diluted with benzene, resulting in a homogeneous mass..
- Glue brand 4508 widely used for gluing rubber and textile technical products. It requires careful preparation of the work area.
- Plasti Dip is a rubber-based paint. This material is used to cover the external parts of the car, which helps to protect it from external factors and improve its appearance..
- In the shoe industry, it is often used rubber adhesive Rubber Cement. The parts do not stick together well and even after a while they can be easily separated. Such qualities are valuable when fastening external parts to shoes and fixing the lining..
- Glue 88 CA created on the basis of colloidal rubber and phenol-formaldehyde-type resin. These components are mixed with nefras and ethyl acetate. The glue is very strong, reliable and durable. It is widely used during renovations and even in the construction field..
The large selection of rubber adhesives has determined a wide range of technical characteristics that may be inherent in a particular product. It will not be difficult to choose just the option that will best meet the user’s requirements..
- Waterproof glue especially relevant when repairing rubber boats, leather goods and shoes. A different composition will not be suitable for this job. Only an adhesive material with a waterproof effect is needed.
- High strength adhesive able to withstand harsh operating conditions. Such materials are used in the field of car repair and construction. It must be handled carefully, since it will be difficult to remove the dried adhesive solution and redo the work..
- Quick dry rubber adhesive allows you to shorten the process of gluing materials. But with such a material, it is difficult to glue large parts. Most rubber compounds dry quickly when heated.
- Elastic seam – this is the main feature that is inherent in the rubber adhesive material. This characteristic allows soft materials to be glued, while maintaining their structure. When dry, the adhesive becomes rubber-like: soft, flexible, pliable and durable.
- Oil resistant glue rubber-based is required for work with petrol-resistant and oil-resistant rubber products. An example of such mixtures is leukonate, B-10 and KR-5-18.
Many manufacturers produce universal formulations in which all or most of the described characteristics are combined. When choosing an adhesive, it is necessary to carefully study its technical characteristics and operating conditions that it can withstand..
Rubber glue can be used to bond almost any material. For household needs, an adhesive mixture of grade A is most often used.. It can be used to repair rubber cameras, leather products, and combine rubber with paper surfaces. And also such glue can be used to fix carpet, linoleum and other floor coverings. There are several types of rubber adhesives that are suitable for metal and glass..
For industrial purposes, the most commonly used adhesive is 4508.. It is suitable for textile coatings, repair and production of industrial rubber goods, vacuum products. For the organization of flooring, it is customary to use polyurethane glue. It is used for crumb rubber and tiles. Such a product is valued for its high resistance to weathering and mechanical damage, repeated friction, high pressure and many other loads..
The Russian user is familiar with glue “Moment”. This is really the best option for home use. It has a wide scope of use and allows you to easily solve most of the problems that may arise in everyday life. The only drawback is the quick curing of the glue, which makes the tube disposable. Even after tightly closing, the glue in the tube will still harden and become unusable for further use..
Novbythim company from St. Petersburg has an extensive production of household chemicals and paint products. Among such a wide range there is also a special rubber glue brand 88-NT.
Ecoline company produces a range of rubber compounds. Among such an assortment, it is easy to find the right option for any job. Products are produced in various volumes, which is convenient for the user. Brands from this manufacturer are often purchased for various industries..
Instructions for use
You can choose the most expensive and reliable adhesive, but the desired result will not be achieved. The reason will lie in improper use and non-observance of the instructions. Therefore, it is worth considering the rules for using rubber glue at home..
Gluing can be done in two ways:
- Cold bonding performed at room temperature. In this case, the complete drying of the seam will have to wait for several hours or even several days..
- Hot gluing assumes the use of temperatures from +70 to +160 degrees. At the same time, the drying time of the joint is significantly reduced and is usually only a few minutes..
Before using the mixture, you will definitely need to make high-quality and thorough preparation of the work area.. The essence of the preparation is to perform the following steps:
- abrasive processing, for which fine sandpaper is excellent;
- thorough degreasing and removal of complex contaminants;
- surface treatment with a special cleaner that will remove dust, including the smallest particles.
Such preparation will provide better bonding of surfaces and increase the reliability of the seam.. And also when working with any rubber glue, you must follow such rules as:
- all rubber adhesive mixtures are flammable, therefore, it is strictly forbidden to work near a source of open fire;
- the instructions for use must be followed to the smallest nuances, it is impossible to deviate from the manufacturer’s recommendations under any circumstances;
- when performing hot gluing, it is convenient to use a building hair dryer, which will allow you to safely bring the temperature of the glue to the desired temperature in a short time;
- hot gluing is performed only in the open air, since the composition can emit vapors harmful to humans.
Important! Different instructions for use can be applied to different types of adhesive rubber compounds. All the necessary information is on the packaging, so you should carefully study it before starting work..
You can make your own rubber glue. There is nothing difficult in this.
You need to act as follows:
- finely chopped rubber is required to be diluted with nefras;
- the mixture is placed in a water bath and heated to +50 degrees;
- to completely dissolve the rubber, you will need to wait 2 hours;
- in the mixture, which will resemble sour cream, you need to add 4% sulfur and 1% magnesia.
This completes the preparation of the mixture. The final product is waterproof, durable and reliable, suitable for working with almost any material.
The choice of rubber adhesive should be based on points such as:
- the parameters of the rubber that will stick together are taken into account;
- how pliable or tough the material is;
- the conditions in which the work will be carried out;
- operational features of the repaired product;
- external characteristics of the product being repaired;
- composition and features of the adhesive.
In the next video, you will be tested for bonding a rubber band to a stainless steel surface with rubber superglue. "SK.401".