Fashion trends in decorating the walls of an apartment are constantly changing. More recently, wallpaper was considered the most demanded finishing material. With the advent of the latest developments, the paint began to actively occupy a leading position. Therefore, modern paints and varnishes are chosen for wall decoration in an apartment..
Different colors can be used today. An ordinary wall can turn into a real canvas, on which it will be possible, by showing imagination, to create a unique drawing. The walls are decorated with ornaments, artistic compositions, patterns, decorative elements. The convenience of painting the walls is beyond doubt. You can update the walls at any time by repainting the surface in a different shade..
Refreshing walls can be done quickly and easily. There is no need for any special efforts or large expenditures for this. You need to choose only high-quality paints and varnishes. It is difficult for an inexperienced person to decide. It is not easy to choose the necessary paint from the many options presented on the store shelves..
To decide on the choice, you need to familiarize yourself in advance with the characteristics of various compositions and take into account the features of the premises for repair.
Wall painting: pros and cons
First, you need to figure out what is attractive for this type of decoration, such as painting walls, and whether there are disadvantages to this method of decoration.
The advantages of this method include:
- Numerous variations of wall decoration. There is an opportunity to take on bold projects, combine different shades and textures, apply picturesque drawings. You can experiment with paints and varnishes. Base colors are transformed into an unlimited number of different shades.
- If the surface of the walls is carefully prepared for painting, for example, leveled with a putty, the paint will fit better. The decorative coating will last longer if you use only high-quality paints and varnishes.
- A high-quality coating is not afraid of regular wet cleaning. Appearance attractiveness will not be affected.
- Painting the walls is the most convenient way of finishing if the room has a complex configuration, for example, if there are curly ledges, columns and niches. You will have to invest a lot of labor and time to paste over such a room with wallpaper, it is difficult to sheathe the room with decorative panels.
- Possible elimination of the smallest defects. Chips, scratches or permanent stains that appear are simply tinted with paint of the same shade.
- At any time, if you wish, you can completely change the design style. It’s easy to do.
The disadvantages of painting walls include:
- High-quality painting requires careful surface preparation. If it is not implemented, the paint coating will not hide even the smallest defects. On the contrary, it is more likely to highlight the existence of shortcomings..
- The painting process is not as easy as it sounds. Lack of experience, non-compliance with technological recommendations, the use of cheap low-quality material will lead to an uneven coating in texture and color.
- The paint and varnish material does not tolerate mechanical stress, as well as aggressive abrasive loading. Inaccurate operation of a residential apartment will lead to the appearance of scratches, various chips, ugly scuffs.
- Dust builds up on painted walls. An exception is the glossy finish..
Basic operational, physical, technological properties
Before purchasing, you should decide on the color of the paints. Other important parameters also influence the choice. The decorative quality is undoubtedly the defining criterion. Salons usually do not have a variety of colors. This is explained by the ability to create the desired shade on your own..
Different paints and varnishes create different degrees of gloss on the surface. It all depends on the choice. There are glossy, semi-matt and matt paints. There are high gloss paints and varnishes.
This type of paint creates an almost mirror finish..
Paints and varnishes that can create gloss on walls are attractive for their ease of maintenance. Such a coating is practically not afraid of moisture or abrasive loads. Therefore, stains can be easily removed from painted walls and dust is wiped off. Gloss looks great only on perfectly flat surfaces, because with subtle defects, the reflective light will immediately indicate all the flaws.
Glossy coating is more used in additional design or, if necessary, to highlight some specific finishing elements of the room.
Glossy paints are used to decorate rooms with a high level of moisture, for example, a kitchen.
When decorating living rooms, a matte paint composition is often used. This type of paintwork creates a smooth surface, hiding small defects. The matte coating of the walls visually expands the room, making the space more spacious.
The disadvantages include the difficulty of removing the set spots. If the stains cannot be washed off, you will have to touch up the affected areas..
These paints and varnishes took an intermediate position, possessing practically the same advantages and disadvantages of the types mentioned above..
When choosing, you need to remember the technical requirements for any formulations:
- An important quality of all types of paint is considered to be the ability to create an even monochromatic coating that is completely hidden by the base color of the base. Typically, this ability is determined by the minimum number of layers required to obtain this effect. A minimum of two coats should be applied to obtain a perfect finish. Manufacturers in some advertisements assure that a single staining will be sufficient, but only such a promise should be treated with rational skepticism..
- Substrate color is also considered an important factor in coloring. For checking, paint can be applied to a small area of the surface. To correctly check the paint and varnish material, you can use the following methods – apply a small smear on the surface of black and white. When completely dry, you can see how many layers you need to do when painting.
- Other important properties include adhesion to the plane, viscosity and consistency of the composition. Overpainting with thick paint can result in color unevenness. Density of paint leads to unnecessary overruns. A base solvent must be added to thick paint. With a liquid paint composition, the situation is worse. The use of this paint and varnish material will lead to the appearance of numerous smudges. In this case, the base background of the base will not be completely painted over. It will be difficult to fix it..
- Thixotropic paints and varnishes are considered beneficial. Such formulations are capable of changing the density in accordance with the conditions. When stirred, the composition becomes liquid, at rest it quickly gains viscosity. Usually, the thixotropic qualities are described on the packaging. Such compositions are really worth using when painting walls. The application of such paints creates a smooth surface without smudges..
- When choosing, you also need to focus on the availability of the technique for applying the coloring composition to the walls. This information is usually indicated by the designation of the pictogram, on the image of which a spray gun, roller or brush is drawn. Large quadrature staining will be faster with the spray technique.
- When choosing a paint, you need to pay attention to the resistance of the material to everyday wet cleaning. This is especially important for rooms with a high probability of staining the walls, such as the kitchen. Washable paints are more expensive than conventional paints. But the result is worth the money.
- Another important quality is the uniformity of the paint formulations. A variety of paint with specific inclusions will create a special micro-relief, for example, the effect of silk or sand. This textured coating will be distinguished by originality. But for the correct application of such paints, you will need painting skills..
- Water vapor permeability is another important parameter of paints. The decorative coating should not interfere with the natural exchange of moisture, so as not to cause condensation drops.
- The use of paints and varnishes should not harm human health. The components of a safe paint include a pigment dispersed composition, a binder, a solvent, additives without an unpleasant odor and the release of toxins. It is better to use paints and varnishes with antiseptic properties. The use of this composition will prevent the formation of all kinds of microflora. When exposed to a flame, the coating should not ignite or form smoke.
- Every person starting a renovation wants work to be done quickly. That is why preference is given to fast-drying paints and varnishes with a short polymerization period. Accordingly, the productivity of painting with such compositions increases dramatically. Typically, the curing time is indicated on the packaging. Only in this case, it should be borne in mind that the stated terms were determined for a normal level of humidity and normal temperature..
Oil based paint
Coloring compositions with a solvent of mineral or vegetable oils previously had no competition in the building materials market.
After application, the component of the oil paint oxidizes, dries up, leaving a colorful film coating on the surface of the surface. But the drying process takes too long. In addition, the durability of the painted coating is low. After a couple of years, the painted coating begins to crack, losing its attractiveness. The resulting film during painting is practically impenetrable for water vapor, and this is unacceptable when the microclimate is normalized.
It is worth immediately abandoning the purchase of oil paint, since the low price is its only advantage. It will not be easy to update such coverage. Before re-staining, after a while, you will have to completely remove the old layer. Otherwise, the paintwork will be of poor quality..
Therefore, for decorating an apartment, it is better not to choose oil paint at all..
Alkyd resin paint
For some reason, alkyd paints are sometimes confused with oil compositions. Of course, the consistency of these paints and varnishes is similar, but the difference between these two compositions is quite large..
Alkyd resins, which are obtained by processing linseed, soybean or vegetable oil using a specific technology with the use of acidic components, act as a binder for the paint. The composition with a solvent may contain a volatile organic compound – turpentine, gasoline or white spirit.
When these paints are applied to the wall surface, the solvent evaporates, alkyd resins form a strong film. The resulting paint coating is elastic, resistant to temperature extremes, ultraviolet light and moisture due to the qualities of the binding resins..
You will learn more about how to choose paint for walls in an apartment in the following video..