There are different types of solvents, the most popular of which are 646, 647 and 650. It is necessary to clearly understand which solvent is acceptable in work and compatible with a particular base. R-650 is an organic solvent, the most widespread and often used in various works. This article will consider where and how it is usually used, what is its composition and main technical characteristics, as well as features of operation and proper disposal, basic precautions when working with a toxic substance, release forms, transportation rules.
Mainly, thinner R-650 is used to dilute nitrocellulose enamel to brush viscosity, because it will be easier to touch up small surfaces with a brush. The solvent is ideal for painting. During the addition, P-650 must be thoroughly mixed in order to select the required viscosity. You also need to first read the instructions for use in order to correctly select the ratio of the components.
Basically, this solvent is in demand in the automotive industry (especially for working with the bodies of trucks and cars), construction and repair work (cleaning painting tools after painting, dissolving acrylic enamels, primers for cars, various types of varnishes, enamels and putty).
The highest priority brand of materials compatible with R-650 is NTs-11 enamels, GF-570 Rk and ML-197 enamels should also be mentioned.
Solvent R-650 has the following main advantages:
- a film will not appear on the enamel;
- the enamel will not become lighter;
- solvent coated paint will not crack.
Composition and specifications
The R-650 solvent has a saturated composition – a combination of low-volatile components, among which there are aromatic hydrocarbons, various ethers, alcohol, butanol, xylene and other organic substances. Also, P-650 is easy to distinguish by its characteristic odor. Outwardly, it is a transparent homogeneous liquid, often colorless, but sometimes with a slight yellowish tinge, no suspended particles are visible in it.
Scratches and small strokes, irregularities on the coated surface should be smoothed out immediately after drying. The solvent dries instantly, does not give a strong shine, the surface remains even and smooth, but without shine, more with a matte effect.
The main technical characteristics of the R-650:
- acidity – 0.1 mg KOH / g;
- coagulation – from 35 to 60%;
- percentage of water – no more than 2%;
- volatility – for ethyl ether is about 25;
For a very long time, the R-650 solvent was produced in accordance with TU 6-10-1247-77, but recently it has been recommended to use TU 2319-003-51758336-2002. The consumption of the R-650 solvent cannot be estimated in advance, everything will depend on the conditions and methods of its use..
You will learn more about the properties of solvent 650 by watching the following video..
Features of operation
Thinner R-650 should be added in small portions in order to ultimately obtain the required degree of viscosity.. It is recommended to clean the surface with a rag..
It should always be remembered that solvents are toxic and flammable. When working with them, it is recommended to be careful, observe the approved safety rules.
There are a few simple but important points for proper operation:
- it is necessary to wear special gloves and a mask (respirator);
- store away from direct sunlight in a tightly closed bottle / canister;
- keep away from fire, no smoking during use;
- ideally, the room in which the solvent is used should be well ventilated, it is recommended to open windows or doors so that there is a draft;
- during work, you need to ensure that the product does not get on the mucous membranes of the eyes and lips and on open skin areas (otherwise, you should rinse the skin abundantly with warm soapy water to avoid unpleasant consequences, since some chemical elements in the solvent composition may not adversely affect only on the condition of the skin, but also on the whole organism);
- avoid ingestion of liquids and food while working with the R-650.
You also need to remember about the correct disposal of the product. It is strictly forbidden to pour the substance into water bodies, disposal through the sewage system is also excluded, it is forbidden to simply pour the substance onto the ground. After the last remnants of the substance in the container have completely dried out, the packaging from under it can be thrown out like ordinary household or construction waste.
The service life of the R-650 solvent, as a rule, is indicated on its packaging and is usually 12 months from the date of manufacture.. Such a solvent is produced in different forms:
- bottles that are resistant to solvents, with a volume of 0.5 l and 1 l;
- special canisters made of low-pressure polyethylene with a volume of 5 l and 10 l.