Despite the fact that beautiful projects of baths with an attic are freely available, most homeowners still want to have a unique design for their building. The desired project can be ordered from a specialized company or drawn up independently. But for this, many factors should be taken into account, ranging from the material from which the structure will be built, and ending with zoning.
Bath with an attic is a relatively new solution that has only recently received recognition. The use of the attic space opens up many possibilities:
- you can equip a rest room;
- allocate a place for a billiard room;
- build a gym;
- leave the attic for storing small things: towels, bath brooms and the like.
However, it is best to turn the attic into a room in which it will be pleasant to spend time.. The organization of the space above the bath has many advantages:
- This way you can save space by rationally using all available square meters..
- A large bathhouse with such a superstructure, for example, with an area of 8 by 9 m, can be used as a full-fledged guest house, which will solve the problem of accommodating a large number of friends or relatives.
- The attic can be converted into a veranda by fully glazing the end walls, or it can be supplemented with a terrace if you make an exit to an open balcony. Such design solutions will not leave anyone indifferent..
- Bathrooms with attic floors look much more attractive than low one-story buildings. They fit better in any environment.
When using the space under the roof, it becomes possible to save on its heating. If everything is calculated correctly, then the attic floor will be heated from the sauna stove and there will always be a comfortable temperature on it. If the bath is used only in the summer, then you can use the attic in the summer as a living room. Another solution is to equip a summer kitchen on it with a beautiful view of the surrounding nature..
To date, rather large designs of baths with an attic are in demand:
- 5×5 m;
- 5×6 m;
- 6×4 m;
- 6×6 m;
- 6×7 m;
- 6×8 m;
- 6×9 m.
It makes no sense to equip a very small building with a second floor, for example, 4×3 m or 4×4 m in size. In such an attic it will not be possible to turn around. It turns out that equipping the attic space here is a waste of time and money..
Some blueprints worth considering, to understand exactly how the plan of a bath with an attic is built and what professional architects focus on.
- Bath with an attic measuring 6 x 4 m has all the necessary compartments on the ground floor. There is a steam room, a washing room, a relaxation room, and even a terrace. A small attic room can be converted into anything, but it is best to make there either an additional bedroom or a billiard room. So after the bath procedures, you can have a pleasant time. Please note that this project is not designed for permanent living in the attic (even guests), since the layout of this 4×6 m bath does not provide for the presence of a toilet.
- Bath with an attic measuring 5 by 7 m has a full bathroom. Please note that a building with an attic is still considered one-story, and the attic floor on the plan is called the attic, and not the second floor. The second floor has a small area due to the fact that the bathhouse is covered with a gable roof, under which there is almost no space left for the construction of a full-fledged room.
- The project of this bath with an area of 6×5 m does not provide for a large space for bathing procedures. It is most suitable for the construction of a residential building. So, the roof is attic here, freeing up a maximum of space for rooms, so there are two of them under the roof. In addition, there is a large lounge on the ground floor, part of which can be used as a kitchen.
In general, baths can be built from completely different materials: timber or rounded logs, aerated concrete, bricks, SIP panels – in a word, from almost anything. The attic superstructure is a completely different matter. You can’t make it out of anything, and there is a quite simple explanation for this: the foundation may not withstand and sag under the weight of the structure.
That is why it is important from the beginning in the plan to indicate the desire to build on the attic. So it will be possible to calculate everything so that the foundation will withstand and not sag, and the walls do not crack..
If you decide to build an attic only after the bath has already been built, it is highly recommended to take a closer look at lightweight materials: frame panels, gas or foam blocks. They are much less in weight, and they will cope with their duties in no way worse, especially since the main protective function will still be performed by the roof.
It so happens that the owners of the site build a bathhouse with an attic for reasons of economy, but at the same time they do not want to give up a high-quality construction. In this case, the first floor itself can be built from high-quality logs, and for the attic one can leave an easier option, for example, a glued log house. Since the second floor is not subjected to the same colossal stresses, there is no need to worry that such wooden walls will rot or crack..
It is important to pay attention to insulation materials, as well as caulking the entire structure, if it is made of a log house.
The best material for the construction of baths, no matter what number of storeys, is rightfully considered a tree. For a long time, our ancestors used exactly this raw material, since it has many positive features:
- It is resistant to temperature extremes. Specially selected wood, properly laid, is better able to resist temperature extremes than other materials, which are indispensable in a steam room..
- Has a beneficial effect on the human body. Vapors of essential oils from some wood species have a calming effect on the psychological background of a person, and also lead to a natural cleansing of the respiratory tract..
- Wood retains heat well. Wooden buildings will not cool down for a long time, thanks to which it will be possible to steam in the bath for longer. In addition, the heat is moist and comfortable, the heat is not hard.
- Wood belongs to environmentally friendly materials, which a priori speaks in its favor.
- As a rule, timber structures will perfectly support the weight of superstructures, especially if they were built from high quality timber. This means that for a wooden bath, an attic can be built a little later than the start of its operation..
The biggest disadvantage of wooden baths with an attic is their high cost, however, by choosing an alternative material for the attic, you can save significant money. Also, the tree is fire hazardous, so you need to think about a possible evacuation from the attic floor..
Brick, unlike wood, does not burn, but its positive qualities are not limited to this:
- Like wooden baths, brick ones serve for a very long time. Their service life, if the building is made of high-quality raw materials with the application of all the rules, exceeds 50 years..
- Brick belongs to environmentally friendly materials. Only natural substances are used in its manufacture..
- Objectively speaking, it is almost impossible to build a bath of complex intricate shape from a bar. Brick is another matter. When using this material, it turns out to build an arbitrarily intricate structure, while the thermal insulation characteristics of the walls do not suffer, since the joints will still remain completely sealed.
Brick baths also have a number of drawbacks:
- Heating such a bath is much more energy intensive. Brick heats up much slower than wood, but cools down several times faster.
- It will be necessary to provide for good waterproofing, since the brick quickly damp out under the influence of humid air.
- Brick costs a lot, so you need to prepare decent money for the construction of a brick building with an attic floor.
Bathrooms with an attic, completely made of brick, need to be fully planned. Brick is a fairly heavy material, and the base under it may simply not withstand the weight of the structure with the superstructure.
There are a number of materials with which you can make an attic, while not greatly increasing the weight of the entire bath building.
Gas and foam blocks
Foam blocks or aerated concrete are a bad solution for the construction of the bath itself. This is due to the fact that, under the influence of moisture, materials quickly disintegrate, therefore, such walls will not stand for a long time. As for the attic floor, where the air is much drier, the blocks are a great idea. Due to their positive qualities, they are perfect for laying out the attic with them..
- Block material is much cheaper than brick or wood. In addition, building from it is a fairly simple process, so a lot of money will not be required to pay workers..
- Due to the lightness of the blocks, construction can generally be carried out alone. The same ease plays into the hands and in the case of an excessive load. Thanks to the block attic floor, it will not arise.
- Both aerated concrete and foam blocks are fire resistant. They do not burn, therefore they are fireproof.
- Although blocks cannot be called an environmentally friendly material, they do not adversely affect the atmosphere. Due to the synthetic origin, the blocks are not attacked by rodents or insects, mold fungi do not start in them.
- Large blocks. Due to this, all work is carried out as soon as possible. They are easy to cut to shape, making work even easier..
- Although the material is “afraid” of temperature changes, however, it tolerates high temperature conditions well, without cracking or deforming.
The block material has more than enough minuses. That is why it is rarely used for the construction of baths. As mentioned above, the blocks do not tolerate temperature changes. By itself, this material easily releases heat, so high-quality thermal insulation will be required, and this greatly increases construction costs. However, in cases where blocks are used for the attic, these disadvantages are not so important..
Assembling the frame for subsequent cladding with inexpensive panels is not a new solution. Builders generally speak out positively about this method, since the construction process itself is greatly simplified here. You don’t have to make any special efforts, as is the case with wood or brick. Frame construction is suitable for both the entire bathhouse and only for the attic floor. The material keeps heat well: its performance is not inferior to wooden counterparts. However, there are also some nuances..
By itself, a frame bath without finishing does not look particularly attractive, so considerable investments will be required in its decoration, both outside and inside. In addition, for winter use, you need to insulate the frame walls well, and this will also cost a pretty penny..
Not every material is suitable here: it is important that it is fireproof, otherwise the frame will easily flare up at the slightest exposure to an open flame, since the materials for the frame are not fire-resistant.
So, at the price there is not much difference when they are engaged in the construction of a frame bath or a log bath. But there are strong differences in weight. The frame structure weighs 5-6 times less, therefore, there is almost no load on the foundation. If you build a frame attic floor over an existing bath, this will not damage the foundation. It will also be possible to save on insulation here, since the roof will carry the main heat-insulating function..
They began to erect structures from SIP panels in Canada, and since the climate in this country is close to ours, Russian companies quickly adopted the technology..
It is possible to build a bathhouse with an attic made of SIP panels in record time, while they will have a lot of advantages, including:
- The light weight of the finished buildings allows them to be erected on lightweight foundations, for example, a belt, which is the easiest to build.
- The panels themselves already have a fairly decent level of thermal insulation due to their constituent components. So, on the attic floor, you can do without additional insulation.
- Correct installation guarantees the absence of drafts, dampness and cold in the room due to the complete sealing of all seams.
- What is important for baths is the moisture resistance of the material. Some of the SIP panels are moisture-resistant samples, but not all, so you need to pay attention to the presence of the appropriate marking.
- This is not to say that the panels are highly flammable. However, they are made of wood, so the use of elementary fire safety measures is mandatory..
- SIP panels have good sound insulation qualities, which is important when building an attic for a living room, in particular a bedroom. So street sounds will not penetrate into the room and you can relax..
SIP panels have a number of significant disadvantages, which are mainly associated with their installation and financial component. Installing properly on your own will not work. Assistants will definitely be needed, or better – a team of professionals. The cost of the material is by no means that low, especially if it is of high quality. Aesthetically, such baths also do not look very attractive, so money will be required to decorate them..
The attic can be adapted to any room, or you can combine several zones here at once. The most requested options include the following:
- Restroom. Zoning provides places for passive and active recreation. Here you can organize billiards by placing comfortable sofas or armchairs in the neighborhood so that you can sit comfortably and just relax.
- Veranda + living room. When the attic is turned into a glazed veranda, it is always advantageous, especially when the bathhouse is surrounded by picturesque surroundings. In such an atmosphere, it will be pleasant to drink tea after the steam room..
- Living room + kitchen. If space allows, then you can organize a full-fledged living place here. However, difficulties may arise with the conduct of communications, in particular, gas. Some craftsmen manage to adapt a bath stove for kitchen needs, but you should not go to such extremes. It is better to simply organize a dining room in the attic, placing a sofa bed nearby for relaxation.
- Gym. If you make good ventilation in the attic and put several exercise machines, you will be able to create a full-fledged sports room. Since there is a washroom downstairs, cleaning yourself up after playing sports will not be difficult.
Professionals give several recommendations on how to make designing a bath with an attic easier, so that the final result is at a high level:
- It is best to lay the presence of an attic immediately into the building plan. Then the load will be calculated correctly and the bath will not “lead”, and the walls will not crack.
- If it so happened that the decision on the construction of the attic was made later, the attic itself should be made of light materials: if the bath is brick – from blocks, if it is wooden – by the method of frame construction or from SIP panels. If the main room of the bath is built of light materials, it is best to refuse to build an attic floor, since it is not a fact that the load-bearing walls will withstand.
- Pay attention to the roof. Not every roof has an attic. When planning it, keep in mind that for the subsequent construction of the attic room, respectively, an attic, hip, half-hip and gable roofs are suitable..
- When planning the interior decoration, count on the fact that all the premises of the bath should be designed in the same style. Ideally used for interior cladding of a bathhouse structure.
A complex project of a bathhouse with an attic under a gable roof. Pay attention to the extensive glazing of the attic floor: this guarantees access to light in the required amount, so the room will be cozy and inviting to rest.
It looks interesting when the attic above the bathhouse has a balcony-terrace. In this case, after bath procedures, you can cool down in the attic room, and then go out to drink tea on the balcony with the whole company..
The attic does not have to be located over the entire bath area. Sometimes the steam room is taken out separately to avoid additional expenses for waterproofing the attic floor. In these cases, you can live in the attic superstructure as well as in the house..
A large bath building allows you to build an attic above it not in one room, but in several at once, thereby organizing various zones there. This is facilitated by the special mansard roof shape..
And as well as how to build a bath with an attic 5.5 by 6.5 from a log, you can watch in this video.