Collapsible greenhouses have many advantages – they are convenient, durable and easy to install. The compact greenhouse “Khlebnitsa” is especially relevant if the site is small. You can build a structure on your own from polycarbonate and polypropylene pipes according to an exact drawing, taking into account the general requirements and knowing the subtleties of construction.
This type of greenhouse has its own characteristics – the structure consists of three main elements: two casement halves and a foundation. In general, the structure looks like a semicircular arch, very neat and aesthetic, so the greenhouse does not violate the overall landscape of the backyard territory.
Thanks to hinged devices, the walls open – this is necessary to create a certain microenvironment for growing crops. A one-sided greenhouse with hinges at the bottom of the frame is more commonly used. It is not for nothing that the greenhouse received this name, since the principle of operation is similar to opening the lid of the bread bin – the semicircular wall of the structure is also lifted in the same motion.
The frame, as a rule, is made of metal or metal-plastic profiles, and a dense film or polycarbonate is used to insert into the frame.
Factory greenhouse models have limited dimensions. In most cases, the width of the building is no more than two meters, the length varies from 2 to 4 meters, and the height ranges from 0.5 to 1.5 meters..
There are some features of ready-made greenhouses:
- they are equipped with legs that must be immersed in the ground;
- there are options with a border over the foundation and without it;
- the structure opens with one or two flaps;
- some models do not have a bottom frame.
When creating a greenhouse with your own hands, it is always possible to choose a different material and size using your own design scheme. True, professionals recommend using not a film for covering, but polycarbonate, which is stronger and more durable, and also installs faster..
Advantages and disadvantages of a greenhouse
When choosing this type of greenhouse, you should inquire in advance about its pros and cons. There are quite a few advantages of this design:
- the greenhouse is light and quickly disassembled, if it is made without a solid foundation, if desired, it can be moved around the territory;
- it is a compact structure, so it is convenient to place it in a small area, or to install several greenhouses on a large area;
- “Bread box” has a small height, and for this reason, even strong winds are not afraid of it, especially if it has legs that are buried in the soil;
- if a polycarbonate coating is chosen, then snow will not be a problem either, the honeycomb fabric of this cellular material, in addition, provides cultivated plants with diffused lighting, while protecting from harmful ultraviolet rays;
- despite the fact that the greenhouse looks small outwardly, its usable area for planting is quite large;
- opening doors make it possible to ventilate the structure, carry out any agricultural work with full access to plants.
The positive point is that you can make a greenhouse with your own hands, its installation is simple and is carried out using conventional tools. If necessary, it can be repaired and altered.
But the structure still has some drawbacks:
- the hinge device requires periodic inspection and lubrication;
- an unpleasant squeak may be observed during the operation of the mechanism;
- if the greenhouse is not fixed to the foundation or ground, then a strong wind can displace the structure;
- when building a large structure, 2-3 people will be needed for installation;
- due to the low height in the greenhouse, only low plants can be grown; for climbing crops, as well as those with high stems and branches, higher and more spacious buildings are needed.
Greenhouse “Khlebnitsa” can be used for growing garden strawberries, all kinds of salad; vegetables such as beets and carrots, herbs – dill, green onions, parsley.
In winter, if the structure is heated, you can grow fresh greens during the entire cold period, but this is mainly suitable for the southern regions of our country..
Of course, first of all, you need competently drawn up drawings, which indicate the exact dimensions of all elements of the structure. For summer residents, a small compact greenhouse with standard dimensions is suitable – 1 meter in height and 2-4 meters in length. A greenhouse with one sash provides for a width of about 1.5 meters, with two-sided opening, it should be at least two meters.
Correct preliminary marking is especially important since polycarbonate sheets have certain dimensions – 210×300 cm (600, 1200 cm), therefore, after creating the scheme, it will be necessary to adjust it to the dimensions of the covering material. In advance, you should decide on the place for installation – it is advisable to install the building away from the living quarters, the fence and large trees that will obscure the light necessary for the crops grown.
The best option if the greenhouse is located with wide sides to the south or north.
In this case, it is important to follow the established rules:
- a distance of 5 meters must be maintained to residential buildings;
- to the sauna (bath) – 8-10 meters;
- to an autonomous sewage system (aeration, septic installation) – 25 meters.
One of the important requirements is level ground at the construction site. You can check it using the building level..
Materials and tools required for construction must be prepared in advance..
For work you will need:
- a foundation that can be made of bricks, wooden planks or beams, metal and even sleepers;
- polycarbonate cloth;
- for the construction of the frame – galvanized or polypropylene pipes;
- fasteners (thermo washers, brackets, stainless steel screws);
- for assembling the skeleton – grinder, drill, welding equipment, hammer, construction knife, pipe bender.
Before using wood, it must be pre-treated, including protective, antifungal agents.
First, the foundation is set. For the greenhouse, which will be erected to a permanent place, the boundaries of the beds are first marked, then a ditch 20-30 cm wide to a depth of 50 cm should be dug.Crushed stone is poured at the bottom with a layer of 10-15 cm.A brick is laid out over the entire area or a wooden formwork is made a module into which the concrete mixture is then poured.
When creating a portable model for the foundation, beams of 150×150 mm are used – they are placed around the perimeter, immersed in the ground by 10 cm, the corners are fixed with bolts.
We list the stages of construction.
- In order to make a frame, you will need a pipe bender – a special machine for bending profiles. You will need two arcs for the sides of the frame and two pieces for the lifting part, the length of the arcs is 1 meter, the center should be marked on the sides with a marker.
- They begin assembly from the lower frame – for this, the profile pipes with a length of 4 and 1 meter must be welded at the corners, after which the seams must be cleaned. The side parts are also welded to the frame, marking their middle.
- Next, end parts should be welded to the sides and bottom frame, and holes for hinges are made on the outside.
- At all marked points at the top of the structure, a four-meter pipe is welded. Then, side arcs, transverse strips of the moving part of the greenhouse are welded.
- Further actions are aimed at ensuring the opening of the wall using the hinge. It is necessary to weld the axial strips to the rising wall, and then cut them off at an angle of 45 degrees and solder them together. Holes for hinges are also made on their inner side. Now they can be installed at the ends and the lifting part can be hung. The skeleton should be painted.
- This is followed by cutting and fitting the polycarbonate sheet – you will need one sheet per blind and moving side, as well as 4 pieces for the side parts. It remains to assemble the structure on the foundation, fix it with self-tapping screws on brick or concrete, and fasten it to the tree using metal brackets.
It is better to cut polycarbonate with a knife or an angle grinder on a flat and solid surface. After installation, all gaps must be glued and closed with aluminum profiles.
When self-erecting, you need to pay attention to some important points:
- in order to create natural heating of the soil, it is advisable to cover the base of the greenhouse with grass, leaves and manure – organic matter will release heat during the discussion;
- it is necessary to make a support of wood in advance, which will fix the sashes when the wall is lifted;
- a warm microclimate will create polycarbonate with UV protection;
- in order to clean off dirt and dust from the covering material automatically, you can install a thin board with brushes fixed on it on the upper part of the frame of the non-opening side;
- before welding, you need to check all the parameters with the level – this way you can avoid mistakes when building a greenhouse.
When creating a greenhouse “Khlebnitsa”, it is important to make all the calculations in advance, including calculating the cost of construction. On average, such factory-made structures can have a price from 4 to 8 thousand rubles, depending on its dimensions..
Perhaps, in some cases, it is beneficial to purchase a ready-made structure, especially if you do not have the necessary experience and skill in construction.
How to make "breadbasket" do it yourself from a profile pipe and polycarbonate, see the next video.