Many people are actively interested in whether it is possible to build a high-quality greenhouse at home on a windowsill. Sure. In such an environment, it is permissible to place a mini greenhouse made by hand. Today we will learn how to correctly make such a design and what types of such small greenhouses exist..
Mini home greenhouses have many positive qualities..
These include the following parameters.
- These models are best suited for growing flowers and plants, rather than simple, unequipped window sills..
- Planting in small greenhouses is easy to care for.
- In such a greenhouse, it is possible to independently change the temperature regime of the air..
- The owners will have the opportunity to independently adjust the lighting mode.
- If the growth of plantings has slowed down or any plant disease has made itself felt, then the situation can always be corrected by changing the conditions for keeping the seedlings.
- If you are making a mini-greenhouse with your own hands, then you will have the opportunity to build such a product that will ideally fit the volume of planned plantings..
- You will not be limited in terms of the width, length and height of the greenhouse. In this case, everything will depend solely on your wishes..
- Greenhouses can be made more aesthetically pleasing by adding various decorative elements. As a result, with such details, the interior becomes more attractive and original..
- If you decide to make a greenhouse yourself, you can significantly save money..
- If necessary, the mini greenhouse can be made mobile and mobile / portable.
There are no serious flaws in these products. Most of the problems that arise are due to improper use or manufacture of the greenhouse.
It is quite possible to build a high-quality home greenhouse on your own, but it is very important to remember that it must meet a number of specific requirements..
Let’s get acquainted with them before moving on to a closer acquaintance with mini-greenhouses..
- Such a design must necessarily create the most comfortable conditions for the grown plants, forming an optimal microclimate for them. Only in such an environment will plantings actively grow and develop, and then give good and healthy fruits..
- The greenhouse must be accessible for the care of the planted plants. The owners should freely inspect and water the seedlings, as well as loosen the soil in the chosen container when necessary..
- In addition, a small greenhouse should look neat and aesthetically pleasing, harmoniously fitting into the existing interior. If you neglect this rule, then the atmosphere in the room can literally be ruined by a mini-greenhouse..
- A small greenhouse must be as reliable and durable as possible. Ideally, such designs are made with the expectation of repeated use..
- Before proceeding to the arrangement of the greenhouse on the windowsill, be sure to make sure that it is located in optimal isolation from the windows. Otherwise, the cold air entering the room can lead to the death of landings..
- Mini-greenhouses should never be located next to permanent heat sources..
- Putting a small greenhouse in a chosen place is permissible only after making sure that the random movement of household members will not overturn it and disturb the seedlings.
You also need to take into account that such bases for young plants should not make the living room darker. A home greenhouse should not cause discomfort to those in the room. That is why such products are best placed on the windowsill in rooms that households rarely use..
However, if we are talking about an apartment of a modest area, then it will not be so easy to follow this rule.. For this reason, owners often have to put up with certain inconveniences that mini-greenhouses can cause. You can also equip a small greenhouse that will not be tied to a natural light source..
Small indoor greenhouses are made in order to provide an optimal microclimate for plants of various species grown in an apartment. The first greenhouse structures were used in the distant 18th century, but many historians believe that they were used earlier. If you approach the arrangement of a small greenhouse competently, then the owners will have an excellent opportunity to breed even the rarest plants in any volume, without leaving home.
It is permissible to use a micro-greenhouse not only for the growth of healthy fruit or vegetable seedlings, but also for growing various varieties of flowers, for example, tulips or orchids – it all depends on the wishes of the owners..
A small greenhouse in an apartment can be placed not only on the windowsill, but also in other equally convenient places. For example, there are greenhouses, which are full-fledged cabinets in which seedlings can be displayed on several shelves. There are also wall options, the name of which speaks for itself. They are attached to one of the walls in the room. Usually, the overlap that receives the most sunlight is chosen..
It is permissible to place a small greenhouse in a balcony block or loggia. Moreover, in such conditions, not only compact options are often installed, but also the above-mentioned instances in the form of cabinets. The main thing is that the loggia or balcony block is glazed with high quality. Often, separate racks are specially designed for seedlings, which are placed near a window or on a warm glazed balcony. Since these structures are open, they are characterized by excellent light transmittance, and plants germinate on them..
There are several types of indoor mini greenhouses. Each model has its own application characteristics, which are important to consider when planting plants. Let’s take a closer look at what options for such products can be supplied in an apartment.
There are such options for greenhouses:
- in the form of a cabinet;
- aeroponic greenhouses.
The first two varieties are characterized by elementary structures. They are installed quickly and easily. Such products are chosen by both experienced “home gardeners” and beginners. As mentioned earlier, small greenhouses for keeping on the windowsill can be made with your own hands. They are made from a variety of materials. The dimensions of such options mainly depend on the volume of plantings that are planned to be planted in them, as well as on the area of the window sills in the house. Self-made options are the simplest and in most cases do not have any automatic add-ons..
Models of greenhouses in the form of a closet are very popular today.. They are good because they have several shelves on which it will be possible to arrange several different plants at once, arranging them neatly and compactly. Flower lovers can turn to the showcase – in tandem, these objects will look very stylish and fresh, decorating the interior.
There is a more economical option – mesh shelves installed in a metal frame base. These models are additionally equipped with a convenient zipper. With the help of this detail, the owners will be able to independently regulate the access of fresh air to the plantings, as well as take care of them when necessary. Today you can find cabinets equipped with sophisticated ventilation systems. They are very convenient to use, but they are quite expensive..
Separately, it is worth highlighting modern automatic models that can be easily turned into multifunctional structures.. Outwardly, they are close to lockers. Such options are otherwise called grobux. In most cases, small plants are grown in them. The optimal atmosphere in such greenhouses is formed thanks to artificial processes that even relate to the organization of lighting..
Automatic products work in combination with fans, special lamps, filters and other high-tech systems. Often, these objects look the same as ordinary furniture, or are an object that resembles a tent made of unusual fabric (these examples are called growtens).
As you can see, automatic options are very practical and functional, but they have a high cost, so they are not bought so often. Mobile portable greenhouse structures are rightfully recognized as one of the most convenient ones. They are good because they can be easily installed at any chosen place within the city. For the location of these products, it is recommended to choose such bases that are located away from tall bushes and trees that create extra shade. As a rule, portable copies are covered with a special film or polycarbonate sheets..
The foundation is not required for these products. It is only important to take responsibility for the fasteners, otherwise such a product can be carried away with the very first strong winds. The back-to-wall options mentioned earlier are designed to be wall-mounted. Most often, these products are addressed in European countries. They are not so common in Russia. If you try very hard, such a greenhouse can be turned into a real home decoration. To do this, you can use a variety of flower or fruit compositions..
All other designs have more complex configurations, but the range of their application is more impressive..
A small greenhouse that can easily fit on a windowsill in an ordinary apartment can be made with your own hands. There are several ways to make these structures. Let’s consider the most popular ones.
It is possible to germinate seedlings in empty cardboard packages left over from food – cakes or pastries. A good alternative to these products are special cassettes, peat tablets, as well as plastic and plywood cups. Such containers are usually used temporarily. Many users turn to self-manufacturing of a rack base with several shelves, which are subsequently exposed to landings. Such structures are built into the window opening itself, therefore, you will first need to carefully determine all their dimensional parameters..
And they depend on such important factors:
- the level of the depth of the window sill, as well as the width and height of the window;
- planned planting area;
- heights of future sprouts.
So, the width of the base will be determined by the parameter of the width of the window, and the height of the plants will affect the distance between the individual shelves. Based on the parameter of the depth of the frame structure, it will be possible to select in advance suitable containers for seedlings. Installation of the side walls of the frame with shelves should start with the competent preparation of wooden bars.
It looks like this:
- a bar with a section of 20×20 must be thoroughly treated with an antiseptic, and then allowed to dry to the end;
- then it will need to be cut into 4 separate parts with a length that corresponds to the height parameter of the upper rack shelf;
- further, using self-tapping screws, the segments will need to be connected in pairs using small-section bars (the parameter of their length should correspond to the width of the rack);
- now you need to attach the lower transverse bars to the racks, placing them strictly opposite each other;
- now inserts in the form of plywood sheets with a thickness of 12 mm will need to be adjusted to the dimensions of the shelves and cut the corners around the entire perimeter in the areas adjacent to the rack elements.
After carrying out the above steps, it is worth temporarily placing the side walls on the windowsill, as well as fixing the shelves and correctly leveling them. If necessary, the horizontal will need to be corrected by placing a lining of any material of suitable thickness under the shelf..
After completing the checks, you can finally secure the shelves to the supports. After that it is permissible to paint the finished frame in the color you like..
For seedlings that grow in an apartment greenhouse, it is very important to provide good lighting, especially when it comes to the winter season, when the sun’s rays are shown infrequently and for a short time. If you have placed the plants on the shelves of the rack, then they can be supplemented with special phyto lamps. Such products do not affect the air temperature in any way. In addition, they are environmentally friendly, durable and highly economical..
Popular LED lamps can boast about the same characteristics.. If you install these fixtures, choosing a suitable light spectrum is not difficult, as is the level of light intensity. Experts advise using low-power cold-light fluorescent lamps for additional illumination of the rack structure. In addition, it is permissible to refer to linear, xenon and halogen options. Some users are sure that backlighting in the form of two or three low-power incandescent bulbs will be enough for the shelving structure. These specimens are as affordable as possible, but their efficiency leaves much to be desired. They emit heat energy in a large volume, but they give only 5% light, which is very little.
New products regularly appear on the modern lighting market. The choice of the best options depends on the preferences of the owners..
Do not be discouraged if you cannot find suitable ready-made greenhouse designs for home conditions on sale. It is rather difficult to choose such products, since they are not represented by the largest assortment. That is why many users make them with their own hands. Protect the seedlings in the greenhouse from an excess of solar heat. If you neglect this rule, then the sprouts can be seriously damaged..
Different crops in different periods of growth change the requirements for the duration and intensity of lighting.. These features are very important to consider if you are engaged in self-cultivation of flowers, berries or vegetables at home..
In fact, maintaining an optimal microclimate in a window sill is not an easy task, although it does not seem to be such at first glance. However, you can cope with many problems if you use high-quality shelving, supplemented with thermal insulation and lighting fixtures..
If you plan to use a more complex greenhouse with several tiers, then it is better to turn to a strong metal frame, and install the transverse strips using welding.Despite the fact that the mini-greenhouse is not a large structure with a foundation, it is still recommended to make accurate design with all the necessary marks.
It is quite possible to make a home greenhouse automated.. To do this, you will need to install a special airing machine, high-quality phytolamps (especially when it comes to a dark room) and automatic watering. Having such components, it will take much less effort and free time to care for the plantings..
Examples of finished structures
A small greenhouse located on a windowsill can decorate many interiors. The main thing is to correctly compose harmonious ensembles, in which all the details will overlap with each other, forming an aesthetic setting.
So, on a light windowsill in the same light room, a wooden folding structure with three snow-white shelves will organically look. On each of them, it is worth placing seedlings in pots of contrasting shades. Light colors combined with brown containers and greenery will look fresh and cozy.
Glass greenhouses with light wooden frames in the shape of small houses will look spectacular on the windowsill. If these options are made of sufficiently dense glass and provide additional insulation for the plantings inside, then in such conditions the plants will be able to bear fruit all year round and will not freeze in winter..
A greenhouse equipped on an open rack with several shelves will look much more interesting and brighter if supplemented with purple lighting or warm light bulbs. Green plants with large leaves will look richer and more lush against the backdrop of this artificial lighting..
Well-chosen lighting can not only benefit the growing plantings, but also decorate the interior, making it more mysterious and original. Under the conditions of the windowsill, lighting devices such as LED, emitting violet and blue colors, look especially attractive. It is difficult to take your eyes off them in the dark..
For information on how to make a mini-greenhouse for seedlings and an incubator for seeds on the windowsill, see the next video.