A pool in a greenhouse is a unique solution to the problem of a short swimming season, which is especially important for areas in the middle lane. In such latitudes, summer does not last long and does not allow you to fully enjoy swimming in your own pool. An excellent way out of the situation would be the construction of a protective pavilion made of the same materials as the greenhouse structures..
Device and feasibility of construction
The pool in the greenhouse is a structure made of translucent materials with a bowl inside. The structure can be both open and equipped with doors and windows. In the first case, the shelter acts as a canopy, under which, in addition to a bowl of water, a recreation area can be placed.
Closed structures are equipped with full-fledged doors and require the installation of heating equipment. In this case, the operation of the pool can be all-season, which is a very convenient option for owners of private cottages in moderately cold winters..
If we talk about the feasibility of erecting such a structure, then it is justified by several reasons.
- Protection of water from the ingress of foliage, mechanical debris and insects is due to the presence of walls and a roof, while there is a technical possibility of installing windows and vents with mosquito nets, which solves the problem of airing greenhouses.
- Swimming in the pool is possible under any climatic conditions: in the summer months, the air and water are warmed up due to the concentration of natural solar heat and the greenhouse effect, and in the cold period, heaters are installed in the room.
- Thanks to the roof, bathers are effectively protected from the harmful effects of direct UV rays. This is especially convenient for families with small children and the elderly, for whom prolonged exposure to the sun is contraindicated..
- Noticeable reduction in bowl cleaning and maintenance costs.
Advantages and disadvantages
A large number of positive reviews about the equipment of swimming pools in the greenhouse due to a number of advantages of such structures.
- Wide consumer availability of the necessary materials and the possibility of self-construction. In addition, a ready-made greenhouse can be used as a protective structure, the assembly of which is carried out according to the attached instructions and, as a rule, does not cause difficulties even for beginners..
- Neat and aesthetic appearance. The pool organically fits into the landscape of the site and is harmoniously combined with real greenhouses and greenhouses. Most often they are made of the same materials, so they do not cause dissonance of perception..
- Significant reduction in water heating costs. In spring, summer and autumn, the water heats up naturally and does not require additional heating.
- The high resistance of the structure to aggressive conditions of external factors is due to the increased strength of greenhouse structures designed for increased wind loads and resistant to negative temperatures.
- Protection of water from the development of pathogenic microorganisms is explained by the restriction of access to water for insects and worms, as well as the impossibility of penetration of plant pollen and organic remains.
- A significant decrease in water evaporation is due to the closedness of the room, and the maintenance of a comfortable humidity regime is due to the possibility of its regular ventilation..
- Low cost of consumables.
The disadvantages of structures include a rather laborious construction process and an increase in construction costs in comparison with outdoor pools..
Pool covers can be made in several versions. The most budget-friendly is the canopy, which only covers one or two sides of the bowl. Sheds also include arched structures that do not have side walls, and pitched roofs. The advantage of such structures is the simplicity of their manufacture and the absence of the need to install doors, windows and sliding systems..
In addition, the shelter can significantly exceed the size of the bowl, which allows you to place sun loungers, tables for drinks or hammocks near the water. The disadvantage of awnings and arches is the lack of side walls and all the associated inconveniences, including poor water heating and mechanical debris entering the reservoir.
Closed pavilions, presented both in the form of traditional greenhouses and made according to an individual design project, are more convenient and practical. Such structures include dome-shaped pavilions installed above round pools. The advantage of the structures is their unusual appearance, thanks to which the structure can become the central element of landscape design. The disadvantages include difficulties in construction, which consist in the need to cut sheet material into segments.
An interesting option is the asymmetrical pavilion.. The building is represented by a semi-arch and is bounded on one side by a vertical wall. The advantage of such a structure is a rather simple installation and the ability to place a recreation area inside.
The disadvantages include the overall volume of the structure and the impossibility of installation in small areas.
Depending on the height, the structures are full-sized, allowing them to be in full growth, and low ones, having a height of no more than 50 cm. Low options also serve as a night or seasonal shelter. The roof of such greenhouses can be either stationary or telescopic. The latter is considered the most convenient and allows you to open the roof at the request of the bathers, for example, in the absence of the sun or too high a temperature inside the greenhouse..
Greenhouse pool bowls are also varied: in addition to the classic square options, there are often round, rectangular, combined and non-standard curly shapes. At their location relative to ground level, the bowls are buried and superficial. The former can be made of concrete and are the most durable, they are dug to any depth. The latter usually have a frame-tarpaulin design and are rarely deeper than one and a half meters..
The first step in building a greenhouse pool is choosing a location. The main requirement should be the absence of spreading trees that can create long-term shading..
An equally important factor is the soil.. The best option would be clay and heavy soils, which act as natural waterproofing and prevent groundwater from damaging the base of the bowl. After the place has been chosen, you need to decide on the shape of the structure. It should be borne in mind that non-standard shaped bowls look very impressive, but the filtration system in them requires a qualified calculation. This is due to the uneven flow, as a result of which the replacement of water and reagents must be carried out much more often than in containers with traditional shapes..
The second step should be the selection of cleaning equipment. For small home pools, two types of filtration systems are usually used: skimmer and overflow.
In the first case, water is supplied to the filters using a skimmer, after which it enters the pool again.. When using an overflow system, water is constantly circulating from the main tank to the storage reservoir, in which it is purified, and again enters the main bowl. The water intake is carried out continuously and is carried out using grates located along the edges of the pool. This cleaning method is much more effective than the previous one, but it requires a lot of investment and is difficult to maintain..
The next step is to build the bowl. The easiest way is to equip a container from polystyrene foam blocks. In addition to the fact that the material is lightweight and highly durable, it quickly absorbs air, is well ventilated and has high thermal insulation properties – this will allow the water to remain warm even at night..
For building a bowl, XXL blocks are suitable. Each of the blocks has deep grooves, with which you can fasten them with reinforcement. The blocks are easily cut using a conventional hacksaw, which allows you to accurately fit all the elements to each other. In the process of forming the bowl in the blocks, it is necessary to make holes for the drain pipes and the filtration system. All pipes and filters are insulated with polyurethane foam.
After the bowl is formed, you need to dilute the concrete solution and pour it over the blocks, paying special attention to the interblock joints. Then the bowl is left for several days for the concrete to dry completely, after which it is checked for cracks. If they appear, the gap is drilled along the edges and processed with putty. After the composition has dried, the crack is filled with freshly prepared concrete and left to harden completely. Then the bowl is covered with a waterproof film or decorated with ceramic tiles..
The last stage will be the construction of the pavilion. The most economical option is construction from shaped pipes and polycarbonate. The structure is assembled according to the principle of a greenhouse and can have either its own foundation or rest on the foundation of the bowl. Its foundation must have a depth of at least 50 cm and be carried out using concrete mortar reinforcement. The frame on the foundation is fixed with bolts, and the fixation of arcs and stiffeners is carried out using special fasteners.
After assembly, the frame is covered with an anti-corrosion compound and painted in the desired color. Then the sliding mechanism is installed, the frame is covered with polycarbonate and the doors are installed.
Such a structure will be a worthy decoration of the landscape of the cottage and will become a favorite vacation spot for the whole family, especially if it is done by hand.
For information on how to properly organize a pool in a greenhouse, see the next video.