SIP and sandwich panels are an alternative to classic building materials. With the help of such advanced technologies, the construction time is reduced, and in addition, you can purchase a ready-made farm building made of self-supporting insulated wire or sandwich panels and assemble it on the site..
The effectiveness of utility blocks made of these materials has already been proven by their repeated use..
The hozblok (shed) in summer cottages has become a common element, a modern replacement for ordinary wooden sheds. The functional capabilities of comfortable and small-sized structures have become wider; they found many additional uses. By purpose, buildings can be divided into such types.
- Auxiliary. Placement of garden tools and implements, things, stock of firewood for the stove or brazier.
- Construction. Installed during construction work; used for storage of tools, building materials or for temporary residence of a team of builders.
- Country houses. Seasonal residence building for occasional visiting owners.
- Household. The hozblok is often arranged for a summer kitchen, shower, toilet. Outbuildings equipped for a garage, a bathhouse (with special interior decoration) or a guest house are in demand.
Diverse applications are made possible by:
- economy of construction and further maintenance;
- long service life (20 years) with the possibility of repeated assembly and disassembly (for certain modifications);
- use without changing the appearance and characteristics: no overhaul is required, sandwich panels are fire-resistant material, not affected by humidity and temperature fluctuations;
- the presence of a high level of heat and noise insulation.
For structures assembled using this technology, a variety of projects are created that have no restrictions either in configuration or in dimensions. Moreover, in standard projects, you can make changes to both the external and internal cladding, and adjust the methods of laying engineering communications..
When creating a project, the following parameters are provided.
- The total area and area of individual rooms. The characteristics depend on the purpose of the utility block or the number of residents. Hozblok 6×4, 3×6 are spacious, comfortable and multifunctional structures for a site located outside the city. In such an area, it is possible to localize a warehouse and utility room, a living room, a toilet and a shower. It turns out a fully functional country house, where there is everything for a comfortable stay. You can divide the interior space into 3 zones and equip the rooms based on their purpose. Any project takes into account the installation of partitions, windows and doors. Smaller designs 5×3 and 4×3 are suitable for typical summer cottages. The projects provide for their division into 2 zones. However, if you wish, you can additionally mount annexes (terrace, firewood).
- Construction type: sandwich utility blocks can be capital or collapsible (if there is a need to move from one place to another).
- Type of utilities (sewerage, water supply).
- Roof type: flat, one- or two-pitched.
- Design features: the presence of a porch, awning, internal partitions and their location.
- The number of doors (interior, entrance), windows and their location.
Especially popular projects.
- Summer kitchen with a wide porch or awning, flat or 2-pitched roof, the smallest number of windows (but not less than 2) on one or different sides.
- Hozblok as a country house. The one-story building has a standard rectangular or L-shaped shape with 1-2 windows and a canopy (porch). Construction, consisting of 2 floors with an attic and a ladder to the 2nd floor.
- Country shed from self-supporting insulated wire or sandwich panels. A building is being erected with a typical rectangular configuration with a flat roof and a single window. A shed for a summer residence made of these materials comes out quite warm, and you don’t have to worry about the tool and other items in winter..
- Sanitary wagons. Such structures certainly have several separate rooms, including a washroom, a changing room, a bathhouse, and a toilet..
- Hozblok from sandwich panels are applicable for year-round use. Bearing walls, consisting of multi-layer slabs with a filler, have excellent thermal insulation characteristics; therefore, such a structure does not require additional insulation.
The choice of materials (floor, roof and wall) is based on the operational characteristics of the structure. The developer can prepare a sketch of the fast-erected structure himself..
How to build?
Like any structure, a utility block begins with a foundation.. For the construction of an outbuilding from a sandwich and SIP panels with your own hands, there is no need for a deep and solid foundation – a tape will do. The material is characterized by lightness, does not exert pressure on the foundation. An ordinary concrete slab can also become a substitute for the foundation, which in the future will be a rough floor..
A frame is installed on top of the foundation. The best solution would be to create a skeleton from a metal profile. First, each wall is installed separately. To do this, you need to cut a metal profile of the required length – make a frame. For the roofing system, a wider profile is most often used. Auxiliary supports should be installed inside the frame..
A screed made of metal punched tape will help to stiffen the system..
When all the components of the structure are prepared, you can begin to install the frame. If the building area is small, specialized bolts can provide its strength – the use of electric welding is not required. Having put and fixed the frame on a concrete base, they are taken for the installation of panels.
Self-tapping screws with a rubber seal on the head are used as fasteners. The length of the self-tapping screw is slightly greater than the thickness of the sandwich panels, the end is pointed, the surface is coated with zinc.
Cladding starts with a corner wall sandwich panel. Connections and assemblies must be sealed. For this, a silicone sealant or a specialized sealing tape is used. The roof is installed with the same simplicity: pitched – from the ridge to the enclosing structure, flat – along the slope.
Attention! When there is a need to cut the panel, use a hacksaw for metal with a fine tooth or an electric jigsaw (operating at low speeds), and not a grinder, since overheating and deformation of the edges of the panel occurs from it.
SIP panels are fixed on a frame made of wood or metal, docking with each other using the “thorn-groove” method. Fastening is done with self-tapping screws, which are screwed in staggered with a step of 15 centimeters. There is also a frameless technology, when OSB-3 dowels, cut from slabs of lesser thickness with several layers, act as connecting parts. Panel walls play the role of load-bearing elements and perfectly withstand the load.
Upon completion of key work, doors, windows are mounted, fittings are installed. The construction time of a utility block from sandwich panels with proper professional training of installers is no more than a week.
For interior decoration and insulation, the following are used:
- drywall sheets;
- paint and other finishing materials.
When using thin SIP panels or in buildings intended for permanent residence, the walls can be additionally insulated with mineral wool, which is fixed to the frame lathing.
The vapor barrier material is arranged between the heat-insulating layer of the outer cladding.
Exterior wall decoration
For the external cladding, a material that is resistant to adverse weather influences is always used.. For outdoor decoration are used:
- gypsum fiber moisture resistant sheets – GVLV (frameless sheathing by means of self-tapping screws);
- facade paint for outdoor use;
- cement-based plaster mixes.
- any type of siding (metal, vinyl, acrylic).
The service life of a service block made of sandwich panels largely depends on the quality of the modules and on the assembly technology. In the manufacture of high-quality sandwich panels, zinc-coated steel is used, protected by an anti-corrosive polymer layer, and the panels themselves are covered with a polyethylene film that protects the surface during transportation.
A professional approach is the treatment of welded seams on the frame with protective enamel and a means that turns the corrosion layer into a thin film.. To prevent heat loss, panel joints are treated with polyurethane foam. The finished structure, erected taking into account the technology, is designed for 20-30 years of use.
For the construction of a utility block from sandwich panels, see the video.