Almost every owner of a summer cottage dreams of his own bath. It may even be a small bathhouse, but its own, in which you can steam with a fragrant broom, and then drink plenty of hot tea. In it, you can relax and recuperate after a tiring week of work. And some just for the sake of one bath and decide to buy a suburban area, in order to be able at least occasionally to escape from the bustle of the city and, together with family and friends, to relax in body and soul.
After all, a real Russian bath is not a luxury. Build even a small sauna on your own plot, while investing a minimum of funds, and everyone can get the maximum benefit. We will tell you how to correctly draw up a project and build a bathhouse with your own hands in a suburban area.
The pleasure that you can get after visiting the sauna cannot be compared either with a summer shower or with a hot bath..
And the bath has many advantages:
- a visit to the steam room has a beneficial effect on cleansing and renewing the skin;
- helps to cleanse the body of toxins and toxins;
- improves the functioning of the respiratory system;
- helps to normalize the work of internal organs;
- helps to relieve fatigue and get rid of muscle pain;
- regular visit to the steam room allows you to forget about diseases such as ARVI and ARI.
It will take a lot of effort to build, but it’s worth it. And before starting construction, you need to decide on the place of future construction. According to fire safety rules, the bathhouse must be at least 1 meter to the fence and other buildings..
But it is also not worth placing the bath near a well, toilet or compost pit, since the water runoff from the bath is a source of pollution. Traditionally, the bathhouse is located on a hill or on a small slope, as this facilitates the natural drainage of used water..
The bathhouse can be located under the same roof with a residential building – this option is convenient for those who plan to use the steam room throughout the year. With this arrangement of buildings on the site, you do not have to walk down the street after the steam room. And one more plus – no additional communications are required through the entire site. Therefore, such construction will be cheaper. But according to fire safety requirements, it is allowed to use only an electric stove in such a bath. And many models, as a rule, do not provide the necessary heat and steam..
Another advantageous option is to place a bath near the pool or summer shower. Plunging into cool water after the steam room will be especially pleasant for connoisseurs of contrast procedures. And if there is a reservoir near your site, then consider the option of building a bath in the immediate vicinity.
But if there is no reservoir or pool on the site, then you can organize a recreation area with a gazebo or hammocks. In a large bath, the relaxation area can be located under one roof or located on the porch in the summer.
In order to build a high-quality bathhouse in the country, you must:
- draw up a suitable construction project;
- think over the connection of all the necessary communications – electricity, sewerage and water supply;
- draw up a phased work plan;
- make an estimate, purchase the necessary materials and tools;
- build a bathhouse and carry out all communications;
- carry out interior decoration.
At the construction planning stage, it is necessary to determine the project. A detailed drawing drawn up on paper will help to visualize the result. Today, many successful projects can be found on the Internet. And you can make the right choice yourself without the help of hired specialists. And also in a few free evenings you can independently master a computer program and draw up a project at your own discretion.
In the finished design project, it is worthwhile to indicate in advance where and how all communications will take place., and also prepare information on the decor and decoration used. The choice of a suitable project largely depends on the area of the site and financial capabilities. Therefore, first of all, it is important to determine the area of the building. Dealing with this issue is easy – think about how many people will take a steam bath in your bath. Take into account also family holidays and birthdays, which may be attended by many relatives and friends. It is important that not only family members are happy with the bath, but also guests.
The simplest construction option will be the acquisition of a frame bath.
She has many advantages..
- Lightweight construction – allows you to reduce costs and time for strengthening the foundation.
- An important plus is an affordable price. A frame wooden bath will cost significantly less than a brick one.
- Even a beginner can erect a frame building in one month..
- It is not necessary to postpone construction for the summer period – you can build a frame bath in any season.
But such baths also have disadvantages:
- a frame wooden building needs additional insulation, which, in turn, will require additional costs;
- bath subsidence – within 2 years the building will sink, which will entail additional costs for possible repairs and finishing work.
But even if you can’t afford a frame bath, there is always an opportunity to go for a trick using an alternative option – a mobile bath on wheels. Or build a steam room from a 20ft metal shipping container or shed.
And there is also another clever option – arranging a bath in the basement of a private house..
In this case, you will need to pay special attention to several points..
- All electrical wiring lines will need to be laid in the ground floor to eliminate the possibility of overheating of the wires. And also all lines in the system should be laid to protect the cable.
- Ventilation and dehumidification system – especially if a pool or hot tub will be equipped in the basement, and it is not possible to place windows for natural ventilation of the room.
- Sewerage and heating system.
At the same time, you should immediately understand that, according to fire safety rules, only an electric oven can be used in such a steam room. But some manufacturers offer models that can be supplied with hot water to increase the humidity in the steam room..
And also some connoisseurs of baths got used to and demonstrate successfully implemented projects for arranging a full-fledged steam room in an apartment on a loggia. And if the area of the apartment allows, then a living space can be allocated for the sauna. Housing standards do not prohibit the construction of a steam room in an apartment building. But such a bath can be heated only with electricity, which, in turn, is also an advantage, since for the owner of the apartment there is no need to arrange a chimney.
Of course, the arrangement of a sauna in a city apartment is different from the construction of a classic Russian steam bath in a suburban area. But in this case, it remains only to determine the optimal area of the steam room. The room should not be too large, otherwise a lot of time will be spent just to heat the steam room.
And besides, for a large room, more firewood will be spent.. But at the same time, being in a steam room that is too small is uncomfortable. Therefore, there is a simple rule – for one person in the bath, you need 6 m2. And the ceiling height should be 2.1 meters.
Based on the selected area and a suitable construction option, you can proceed to the next design stages. For example, it is a good idea to place several rooms inside a building. Consider placing under one roof not only a steam room and shower rooms, but also a relaxation room, as well as an extension with a toilet.
The purpose of the premises inside the building depends largely on the seasonality of the bath. For example, if you plan to use the bathhouse only in the summer season, then it is quite obvious that you can take the recreation area out into the open air, for example, on a covered terrace or veranda near the bathhouse. Then you and your family after the steam room will be able to drink hot tea right under the open sky..
And if the bath will be used throughout the year, then it is wiser to equip a spacious and warm room under one roof. Then you will have the opportunity to relax and unwind after the steam room. Well, in this case, the toilet in the bath will not be superfluous..
But if you do not have the opportunity to allocate a large area, then build a mini-bath with a steam room and a dressing room. This option is suitable for summer residents who heat the bath only once a week and only during the summer..
The bath can be built from wood or brick, as well as from modern materials: polystyrene concrete, wood concrete, foam blocks, aerated concrete and so on. For example, a building can be built from large foam blocks in a few days. And comparing the prices for building materials, we can come to the conclusion that a budget bath can be built from cinder blocks.
The room will remain warm, and when heated, the walls will not emit toxins and harmful substances. In addition, foam blocks are fire resistant material. Among the available materials, wood concrete can also be noted, while the bath turns out to be warm and durable..
But despite the fact that brick and stone are more durable materials and are not afraid of fire, they are not used so often in the construction of a bath..
And there are many reasons for this.
- Brick and stone structures are heavy, which entails reinforcement of the foundation.
- The room will freeze faster, which means that it will take much more time to warm up the bath..
- Instead of expensive brick and stone, various blocks are more often used recently. If for a bath you settled on a brick or various blocks, then make sure that the building materials have a special impregnation and multi-layer cladding..
But the best material for a bath is wood, it is a natural and breathable material, and allows you to create the necessary level of humidity, and also dries quickly. The log bath has a low coefficient of thermal conductivity, which allows you to keep heated hot air for a long time even in winter frosts.
But different types of wood in their own way affect the bath, therefore, it is necessary to choose a certain type of wood for some rooms..
- Linden – ideal for wall and ceiling cladding. And also from linden you can make shelves in the steam room and benches in the recreation area.
- Oak is considered the most reliable and durable material. But at the same time, oak logs have a high price, so it is very expensive to build a bathhouse entirely of oak. Often, oak is used only for foundation pillars and wall bases..
- Spruce and other conifers are a great option for decorating walls and ceilings in a steam room. Conifers perfectly absorb moisture, but at the same time maintain temperature and humidity. But it is important to choose boards with low humidity so that when heated they do not release resin..
- Birch and aspen – after additional processing can also be used for wall and ceiling cladding in a steam room.
- Alder – has a pleasant pinkish tint and has a beautiful pattern. But it is not suitable for finishing the steam room, most often alder is used when decorating external walls and recreation areas.
For the construction of a bath, wood with various processing is used.
- Chopped logs are a popular material for the construction of buildings on a suburban area. But a chopped log has a high price, since the wood is processed by hand, and only an ax is used, which allows you to get a processed trunk without bark and knots with minimal destruction of the inner layers.
- Rounded logs – wood is machined on a special machine. Thus, the output is a perfectly flat log with a smooth surface..
- Edged timber – unlike chopped or rounded logs, it has a rectangular shape. It is easier to work with such material. For the bath, larch or alder timber is most often used. After the construction of the building, the external walls can be additionally revetted with decorative or natural stone..
- Glued laminated timber – has an obvious plus, buildings made of timber practically do not shrink, so you can start exterior wall decoration almost immediately after the construction of the bath.
- Profiled timber – produced by edging and glue blanks. Such beams have additional grooves, which greatly facilitates the construction process.
When choosing wood for interior cladding, you need to pay attention to the quality of the boards:
- the surface should not have darkening, wormholes, blueness or signs of rot;
- boards must be well dried;
- and also the boards should be smooth without falling out knots;
- the cut should not have a loose structure.
Among other things, for the construction of a bath, you will need vapor barrier and waterproofing materials that are placed between the casing and the insulation:
- roofing felt – at high temperatures contributes to the appearance of unpleasant odors, therefore it cannot be used for the walls of the steam room;
- plastic wrap – deteriorates at high temperatures, so it is not recommended to use it when covering the walls of the steam room;
- aluminum foil is the most suitable material;
- foil with fiberglass – perfectly copes with the thermal insulation of the bath.
Thermal insulation materials are necessary to keep the heat inside the building. If a large amount of warm air leaves the room, then the productivity of the steam room will decrease, and the operation of the bath in winter will become impossible. It is necessary to insulate the building both outside and inside. Therefore, savings on thermal insulation materials are unacceptable. Used as thermal insulation: mineral wool and fiberglass.
These materials are great for insulating a wooden building, and at the same time they do not support combustion and are fireproof. Some builders use any available means as insulation, for example, sawdust, but fire safety standards do not approve of this approach. Foam plastic cannot be used for insulation, it also does not meet all fire safety requirements.
For interior wall decoration in different rooms, you can use different materials. For wall cladding in the steam room, wooden lining is best suited. And for the washing compartment, tiles or plastic sandwich panels. The walls in the recreation area can be decorated with stone or brick.
It is not recommended to use plastic panels, metal, linoleum and other materials in the bath, which can ignite or heat up at elevated temperatures, as well as cause dangerous situations with high humidity. When building a bath, it is necessary to choose materials that are practical, moisture-resistant, environmentally friendly and resistant to steam and high humidity..
As numerous successfully implemented projects show, you can build a full-fledged bath from any available means, including pallets, OSB, polycarbonate, sleepers, SIP panels. The main thing is to have a desire. And after you have figured out the project and the choice of materials, you can proceed to drawing up an estimate.
The construction technology of different types of saunas differs.
Saunas can be divided into several types.
- Dry steam room – the humidity in such a sauna is at the level of 20-30%. And at the same time, the air temperature can reach +120? С. It is impossible to stay in such a steam room for a long time. And besides, the use of a birch broom is unacceptable. Perhaps that is why our compatriots prefer other types of steam rooms..
- Wet – this category includes a classic Russian steam room. Humidity in such a sauna reaches 100%, and at the same time, the comfortable temperature, as a rule, is in the range from +50? С to +90? С.
- Water sauna – Turkish steam rooms belong to this category. In such a sauna, the air temperature does not rise above +50? C, and the key role is played directly by steam and humidity..
A small room for a steam room is allocated for the Finnish sauna. Because on the benches in the dry steam room, people sit almost motionless and move a little. And in the Russian steam room, it is customary to steam with a fragrant broom, so the area of the room should be several times larger.
But the stages of building any sauna are the same:
- installation of the foundation for the building and separately for the furnace;
- installation of the frame;
- roof installation;
- installation of a stove and chimney;
- installation of windows and doors;
- insulation of the floor, walls and roof;
- summing up communications;
- finishing and facing works;
- installation of plumbing (if necessary);
- arrangement of furniture.
How to heat?
An important issue at the design stage is the place for the stove and the choice of the method of combustion. As for the place for installation – the stove should be located in the bath in such a way that all rooms inside are heated at the same time. That is, heat must be maintained both in the washing room and in the changing room and recreation area, but at the same time all the heat must be in the steam room. The main requirement when choosing a stove is that the steam from the stove does not burn people nearby.
In a classic Russian bath, as a rule, a homemade metal boiler is installed., additionally lined with bricks or stones. Such a stove heater heats up quickly and can maintain the temperature for a long time. But the brick oven is still considered the best, even though it takes longer to warm up, it gives a light, ideal wet steam. But a brick or stone stove should be installed on a prepared foundation. Such a bath can be heated with wood, coal or wood pellets..
Smoke baths were popular just a few decades ago. And they differed from the so-called white ones not only in the color of the walls. The key feature of the Russian smoke steam room is the absence of a chimney. The smoke from the stove passes through the stones and remains in the steam room, heats the room inside, and then settles on the surfaces, giving them a black color. Modern manufacturers offer to install gas boilers, they do not require careful maintenance and cleaning of the chimney. And also eliminate the need to prepare firewood.
Electric boilers are another alternative to the classic stove. They are an excellent option for arranging both Russian and Finnish dry steam rooms. But still they are inferior in characteristics to classic wood-burning stoves. The electric boiler does not provide the required level of humidity and steam. And those who like to steam with a broom will prefer an exclusively wood-burning model to any electric boiler..
The dimensions of all boilers, regardless of which type of stove you choose, remain practically the same. But when considering placement in the steam room, it must be remembered that the distance from the stove to walls and wooden surfaces must remain at least 20 cm free..
Correct zoning is already half the battle. The placement of individual zones in the bath is determined by the total area of the building. It is believed that the size of the bath is determined based on the number of people who will be in the bath at the same time. So, for 5 people, you need about 10 m2 in the steam room.
As a rule, it is worth placing several zones in the bath..
- The steam room is the soul of any bath. Experienced bath attendants will say that the steam room should heat up quickly and keep steam for as long as possible.
- Shower or washing department – in modern saunas in these zones, a full-fledged sewage system has been thought out.
- Recreation area – in this case, it all depends on the capabilities and imagination of the owner of the site.
- Locker room – considered an optional room, especially if the bath is under the same roof as the house. The functions of the locker room can be performed by any other room of the bath, for example, a vestibule or a recreation area.
- The dressing room – reserved for storing firewood and brooms, you can also leave your outerwear and shoes here before going to the bathhouse.
- Tambour is an obligatory room in any capital structure, it is necessary so that cold street air does not penetrate into the recreation area.
- Toilet – will require sewerage.
With this distribution of space, several people will be able to use the bath at the same time. But such a layout requires a large area. The optimal size of the steam room is from 6 to 10 m2. With such an area, you can place two or three levels of shelves 150-200 cm long. The lower two levels are usually small in size and are used to sit on them. And the upper third shelf is recommended to be made wider so that you can lie on it calmly. This area will be enough for the simultaneous presence of 3-5 people. But if you prefer to use a broom, then the bather will need more space..
The same space should be allocated for the sink. The dressing room and dressing room can be located in the same room, in which case the minimum area should be at least 6 m2. But still, it is advisable to leave the place in the dressing room free for storing brooms and firewood.
In a small bath, you can also combine a steam room and a washing compartment, but it will be necessary to let off steam from the bath before washing, since different temperature conditions are required for a comfortable stay in these rooms..
There are several points to pay attention to when zoning a bath..
- When organizing the internal space, think over everything to the smallest detail. It is important to understand at the planning stage how the various communications will be connected in order to draw up a wiring and water supply diagram.
- Choose frosted and opaque windows.
- The steam room should be as far as possible from the front door in order to minimize heat loss and eliminate the likelihood of a draft.
- The minimum necessary for a good rest in the bath: steam room, washing area and vestibule. You can do without the rest of the premises if it is not possible to allocate a large area for construction. In a small vestibule, install a bench and small hooks on the walls for clothes and towels.
The choice of foundation directly depends on the type of soil on the site and the size of the building.
- Tiled foundation – suitable for small buildings.
- Column foundation – can only be used when erecting walls made of lightweight materials. But such a foundation is unacceptable for clay and swampy areas..
- Concrete strip foundation is the most popular option for building a bath. And at the same time, this type of foundation is the most reliable, especially if the structure of the building is additionally reinforced with reinforcement.
- Pile foundation – used in rare cases, if there is problem soil on the site.
Consider, using an example, step-by-step instructions for making a concrete strip foundation for a bath from scratch.
For work you need:
- roofing material;
- concrete mixer;
- construction tools such as pliers, hammer, tape measure, level.
First, mark the area for future construction and prepare a trench. For a small one-story bathhouse made of wood or brick, a trench about 40 cm wide is suitable, and the depth should be at least half a meter. After that, tamp the bottom and fill with water to shrink the soil. Then cover the bottom of the trench with a waterproofing material such as tar paper. Then fill up with sand, gravel or fine crushed stone. It is necessary to fill up the sand in stages and carefully tamp.
Install formwork on all sides, and prepare the reinforcement of the foundation. To do this, connect the reinforcement rods with wire and install the structure in the formwork. Prepare the grout.
For the basement of the bath, mix equal amounts of cement and sand, and add two parts of gravel. And pour the mortar between the formwork elements. After the cement is completely dry, the wooden formwork can be dismantled.
There is no difference in how to build a large or small bath. And at each stage of the construction of a building, it is necessary to follow certain rules and follow the guide. Bath walls should be built of wood, brick, cinder block, aerated concrete and so on. But the most successful project will be a combination of materials, or the construction of a bath exclusively from wood. As an example, consider the step-by-step instructions for the construction of a wooden bath..
For the construction you will need:
- wooden beams 15×15 cm, 5×10 cm;
- metal plates and corners;
- liquid bitumen;
- roofing felt.
Before proceeding with the construction of the frame, it is necessary to carry out waterproofing. On top of the prepared foundation, it is necessary to apply liquid bitumen and cover with roofing material. This procedure must be repeated..
While the bitumen layer is drying, prepare the bottom rail with wooden beams. To do this, it is necessary to treat the first layer of wooden boards with antiseptic agents to protect against the effects of fungus and decay. This part of the building must withstand the maximum load, therefore, for this it is necessary to use 15×15 cm beams.
After that, you can proceed to the installation of vertical racks.. Before fixing the stands, check the fasteners for a level. For this, it is recommended to use wooden beams 5×10 cm in size. Vertical racks should be installed at a distance of 50 cm from each other, for reliability, fastening them with temporary horizontal strips. Reinforce the corners with diagonal posts. And at the same time, leave free areas for the subsequent installation of windows and doors. After the wall frame is ready, you can proceed to the manufacture of the ceiling lathing and wall cladding.
The rules and stages of building a roof directly depend on the selected type of structure..
There are three types of roof for a bath:
The type of roof is selected based on the purpose of the under-roof space. For example, if you plan to use the space under the roof as a rest room, then it is wiser to choose a complex structure with two or more ramps. In this case, you will have the opportunity to equip an attic or a full second floor. And if, according to your project, you want to install a water barrel on the roof, then you should stop at the classic lean-to roof.
And also often when erecting a roof, the owners give preference to a gable roof. Let’s take an example of just such a project..
To work you will need:
- bar for Mauerlat 10×15 cm;
- rafter boards 10×20 cm;
- beam for screed 10×10 cm;
- support for racks 10×20 cm;
- racks 15×15 cm;
- planking boards 2×15 cm;
- metal corners;
- chimney pipe;
Work begins with the installation of a Mauerlat – this element continues the frame walls. Then you can proceed to the installation of vertical racks, a run for the reliability of fastenings. And after that, proceed to fastening the rafter legs, they are attached at a distance of 50 cm from each other.
If you will be using the space under the roof, then take care of insulation and additional steam and waterproofing. Even the roof of the summer bath must be insulated with a layer of mineral wool, since hot air will go out into the street through the top..
Installation of a vapor barrier and waterproofing layer does not take much time. And only after installation with insulating material, you can proceed to the roof.
Coverage depends on roof structure, climate and financial costs.
- Roofing steel – belongs to the category of expensive materials. The service life of a galvanized steel roof will average 27 years. Of the advantages, fire safety, lightness of construction and optimal protection against leaks can be noted. But in the absence of constant maintenance, metal roofs can rust..
- Roll coverings – often used on shed roofs of seasonal buildings. This type of roof is considered the most affordable. It does not require any special care and will last about 10 years. But roll coatings have one obvious drawback – they quickly ignite..
- Slate – remains popular to this day, despite the appearance of metal tiles on the market. The slate coating will last about 35 years. Of the obvious advantages, it can be noted: low weight of the roof, ease of installation and reliability of operation.
A chimney must also pass through the roof structure. In this case, the walls of the chimney should not come into contact with the wooden frame. Therefore, the pipe channel should be bricked.
First of all, sheathing of the outer street side is made. In the case of wood, boards of 2×15 cm are better suited for this. In this case, the boards can be nailed horizontally and with an overlap. If you have experience with wood, you can try to depict a drawing or pattern on the wall. And also install window slopes on the outside wall. If you don’t have the capacity, time, or desire to sheathe the exterior walls with wooden planks, you can use outdoor siding or decorative panels. This will greatly speed up and simplify the wall cladding process..
After completing the sheathing of the street wall, you can proceed to the insulation of the structure and the conduction of electricity. The next layer is vapor barrier, it must be done so that moisture does not leave the bath. In the case of a bath, you can use open wiring, additionally protecting the cable with electrical systems. And after that you can move on to the cladding of the internal walls. Depending on the type of room for the walls, you can choose lining, plastic panels or tiles..
In different rooms of the bath, the floor of various structures is equipped. Therefore, before installing the floor and ceiling, you must know the purpose of all rooms. A wooden floor should be laid in the recreation area.
In the steam room and washroom area, the structure is more complex and has two layers:
- the bottom layer is concrete, which is poured at an angle for natural drainage of water;
- a second layer of wooden planks, fixed with small gaps so that water can drain between the planks.
Recently, some owners prefer tiles in the washing area. In this case, the tiles are laid on the concrete surface with an inclination towards the drain hole. This stage of work is carried out simultaneously with the pouring of the main foundation..
Let’s look at an example of how to make a tiled floor in a shower room.
- Before screed, decide where the drain hole will be.
- For a natural drainage of water, it is necessary to equip a slight slope of the floor covering: 1 cm per 1 running meter. To do this, you need to make markings on the walls and fill in the rough screed, taking into account the slope.
- After the solution has completely dried, you can proceed to creating a waterproofing layer. Sealant is applied over the concrete with a thick brush in several layers. The optimal thickness of the waterproofing layer is 3 cm.
- After that, a drain pipe is brought to the place of water drainage and, with the help of connecting elements, is connected to the sewer pipe..
- The final stage is the final screed. After complete drying, you can install the drain in the place of the drain and lay the tiles on the floor..
In other rooms, tongue-and-groove boards with a thickness of 3.5-4 cm can be used for the floor. They are excellent for wet rooms, moreover, the surface does not slip even in contact with water. It is important to remember that it is not recommended to use linoleum in rooms with high humidity and sharp temperature changes..
A window in the recreation area can be used as a ventilation system. You can also open the doors wide to ventilate the room. Still, it is worth considering in advance the ventilation and heating systems of all rooms in the bath, so as not to cool the room once again. And also it is necessary to think over the ventilation system in the steam room. The supply window, as a rule, is located at the bottom near the entrance to the steam room. Such a window must necessarily have doors and latches in order to be able to regulate the air flow. Initially, when the bath is heated, the valves must be closed so that the room in the steam room is heated to the desired temperature..
If you neglect the rules for arranging ventilation in the bath, or forget to open the valves in time, then there is a risk of overheating and losing consciousness in the steam room. Therefore, the cost of complying with all the rules and regulations is very high. The second reason for the need to install ventilation is wood decay. In addition, if the bath is located under the same roof as a residential building, ill-conceived ventilation can cause unpleasant odors and dampness. Therefore, ventilation is needed not only to preserve the original appearance of the steam room, but also for your health..
The bathhouse should not stand out on the site. And it is desirable that all buildings are made in the same color scheme. The walls of the bath can be faced with brick or stone, this is especially necessary if the frame is erected from timber or blocks. Ugly dark wooden beams can also be hidden with a new clapboard. In addition, external cladding solves insulation problems.
In order not to have to redo the cladding after a few months, follow a few simple rules:
- before starting finishing work, make sure that there are no cracks on the surface of the walls, since even the slightest irregularities can lead to heat loss;
- the new bath may shrink, so you should wait a few months before starting the facing work;
- an excellent option for decorating a bathhouse in a modern style is siding – it differs in texture, color and can imitate various surfaces, which allows you to give uniqueness and style to an ordinary bare building;
- decorative panels with artificial stone are a great option to give the bath a more attractive appearance for optimal money.
Exterior wall decoration has many benefits. In addition to hiding unattractive bare or aged walls, it also extends the life of the bath..
To create a comfortable interior in a bath is no less important task than construction. The interior design must fully match the mood and meet the wishes of the owners.
Consider what to look for when decorating an interior in a bath.
- Do not mix different styles when decorating the steam room, relaxation area and dressing room. Choose one style and try to create a laconic, uniform and comfortable interior.
- Do not overload the steam room with decorative elements – this is a place where you need to relax and leave negative thoughts outside the room. The most suitable finishing option is the arrangement of the interior in light and calm colors. As you know, pastel shades allow you to relax and tune in to harmony..
- The chosen style must correspond to the materials from which the bath is built. For example, it is quite obvious that the oriental style cannot be recreated in a bathhouse from a wooden frame..
The main decoration of the interior can be birch brooms, basins, samovar, hats and other accessories for bath procedures. And bare walls can be decorated with paintings or your own souvenirs..
When decorating rooms, try to adhere to a uniform style to create a harmonious and unified space. Do not overload the space with various elements, decor or textiles. Any materials used to create the interior must meet fire safety requirements, be resistant to high temperature and humidity.
You can decorate the bath in any interior style. And this is an exciting activity. You can approach this issue creatively and try to implement your bold design decisions, as well as allow yourself to experiment. The main thing is not to overload the interior, not to turn it into an amateur museum..
The rustic style remains a universal option for all types of baths.. For such an interior, it is worth choosing natural wood furniture, large chairs or benches for a recreation area. But also as a decor, you can lay a painted tablecloth on the table, and decorate the windows with light curtains. You can complete the interior with rugs or bright rugs on the floor. Such an interior looks colorful and interesting..
For a country bath, the style of the Alpine mountains is perfect – a chalet. He is rude and brutal in his own way, but at the same time gentle. This style is characterized by natural materials: wood and stone. High timber walls and massive beams on the ceiling look great in a spacious room.
Today, the minimalism style is popular, and it can be used not only in the metropolis, but also in suburban life. This is a great style, especially for a small bath. It is distinguished by conciseness, functionality, lack of bright accents. Due to the small amount of details and light shades of wood, the space will visually expand and fill with air.
An unusual option today is country or Provence style baths. But modern designers urge to abandon stereotypes and try to create a unique and inimitable style in the bath..
You can also combine Turkish and Russian bath traditions. Ceramic mosaic tiles, bright pillows, silk fabrics on the windows, bright colors and exotic decorative elements are the main details that should be emphasized when decorating an interior in an oriental style. And do not forget to replace classic tea cups with small bowls or Turkish glasses – then you will be able to recreate the original and unique interior with your own hands..
Bath furniture is an important stage in the arrangement. It is not necessary to install textile furniture with decorative pillows in the recreation area. Due to high humidity, the fabric will quickly deteriorate and lose its original appearance. A small table with comfortable benches or wooden chairs will suffice. The most comfortable in the recreation area are precisely the wide benches, because you can lie down on them and relax after the steam room. Depending on your preferences and wishes, the benches can have a back and be of different lengths.
The main thing is that the surface of wooden furniture is smooth and does not cause splinters under the skin. If you are uncomfortable sitting on solid wood furniture, you can place soft cushions with waterproof material on the seat..
The size of the furniture directly depends on the size of the room. The smaller the bath, the smaller the pieces of furniture should be. Another main rule when choosing furniture for a bath is that objects should not have sharp corners. And also give up furniture with metal elements. The entire space around should be soothing and relaxing..
In addition to furniture, in the steam room and relaxation area, do not forget to take care of coat hangers and shoe racks in the dressing room. Also, hangers for towels and bathrobes will be useful..
Tips & Tricks
You can also order the construction of a bath from professionals. But such a construction will cost quite a lot, although it will save the customer from many questions. But if you decide to take the construction into your own hands, then remember that the bathhouse is not just a washing room, it is an important element of summer cottage rest.
To build a warm and comfortable bath, you must follow the basic rules and recommendations of specialists.
- It is not worth investing a lot of effort and money to build a bathhouse for a family of three. The total area of the building should not exceed 10 m2 – these are the optimal dimensions for a good hot bath.
- All wooden materials during construction must be treated with an antiseptic composition to protect against rotting and fungus.
- The ceiling in the steam room should not be too high, but at the same time sufficient so that you can sit on the upper shelf without touching the ceiling with your head.
- To reduce heat loss in the steam room, install a door with a high threshold and a low frame. For safety reasons, the door from the steam room must open from itself.
- The outer wall should not be less than 30 cm, otherwise warm air will quickly leave the room, and the steam room will quickly cool down.
- Windows are a must in the sauna. Window openings may not be present in the steam room, but they must be in other rooms, since they are additional fire exits. And it is most reasonable to bring the windows to the west side, because, as a rule, the bathhouse is heated in the evening, and at this time the maximum sunlight will enter the room..
- The doors to the bathhouse should be installed on the south side, in which case the snowdrifts will not block the entrance, and the snow will melt much faster.
- There should be no draft in the bath. Such an ill-conceived detail can ruin the whole impression of the bath. Therefore, do not place doors perpendicularly in all pass-through rooms..
- You can save a significant amount of time and money if you order a ready-made frame bath. Experts will create a project suitable for you or offer a ready-made standard solution.
According to the selected design project, the bathhouse will be made at the manufacturer’s premises and delivered to your site disassembled. You just have to collect all the elements, like a constructor.
- If you want to get the most out of your sauna, install a salt panel on one of the walls in the steam room. As you know, sea salt has a lot of useful elements that are so necessary for people living far from the sea coast. And by visiting the steam room with a salt panel, you will gradually compensate for the lack of useful microelements. And besides, this situation looks somewhat magical and absolutely definitely unusual..
- When building a wooden bath, remember that wood is a capricious material that requires periodic maintenance. In order for the bath not to lose its original qualities and not to lose its appearance, the wooden surface must be treated with special solutions, fire retardants and covered with paints and varnishes. And the protective layers require periodic renewal.
- A budget bath is possible only if the full-fledged sewerage and water supply system is abandoned. Therefore, if you want to save money, then consider the system for supplying water to the bath through a hose, and make the floor pouring.
A beautiful bathhouse in a summer cottage can become not a simple gray building, but a functional and luxurious element of landscape design.
Most often, a stove with a stove in a steam room is installed in one in the corner.. But if you are planning to build a bathhouse for a large company, then you can consider installing a boiler in the central part of the steam room. This version of the stove is not suitable for baths with wet steam, in which it is customary to put hot water on stones to raise the steam level and humidity. And for the purpose of fire safety, it is worth additionally protecting the boiler from wooden elements with a protective frame. It will also protect you and your guests from accidentally touching hot stones..
If you are planning to build a bathhouse in a classic rustic style, but do not know how to fit a modern shower cabin into the interior, then you can consider this option for arranging a shower room in a wooden case.
Owners of small summer cottages can also afford a full-fledged bath. And a mobile steam room can be an excellent alternative. It has a small design, and the interior space is no different from a full-fledged stationary bath. Inside there is only a steam room and a shower area. But such a bath will be indispensable not only in a small suburban area. It can also be used anywhere: on travel, expeditions or on construction sites..
The sink walls can be decorated with decorative or natural stone.
Recently, a sauna with a pool is not a luxury item. You can equip a full-fledged pool both in an open area and under the same roof with a sauna. In hardware stores, you can buy ready-made bowls 1 meter deep – such a pool will be quite enough even for a large company. And to give the finished structure a more attractive appearance, the inner walls of the bowl can be lined with ceramic tiles..
Additional lighting will create a special mood.
If the room with the pool is located under the same roof as the bathhouse, then it is better to make this area a walk-through area. In this case, the pool can be accessed from three rooms: from the recreation area, from the steam room and from the shower..
But if it is not possible to allocate additional space for a full-fledged pool, then you can install a small hot tub with cool water or a jacuzzi with hydromassage.
In addition to the pool, there can be a terrace with a barbecue or a fireplace under the same roof as the sauna – this is a great option for hospitable hosts. In this case, you do not have to think about arranging a relaxation room inside the bath. And the open terrace near the bathhouse will replace the garden gazebo. In the open air, you can not only cook a barbecue, but also enjoy hot tea and fragrant hookah, bask in a hammock or play billiards. Your friends and family will always return to such a bath..
In the next video, you will find an overview of a mobile bath-quick-walk, built with your own hands for a penny.