The toilet is a plumbing device that is in every home today. In stores you can find many different models that differ from each other in size, color, and direct device. In today’s article we will figure out how you can choose the best toilet option.
The basis of the mechanism of absolutely all toilet models is the principle of a water seal. The device is equipped with its own system of necessary levers, a seal and a float. The listed components are necessary for the redistribution of water mass in the design of plumbing..
Simply put, the device supplies water, the mechanism contributes to its accumulation, and at the right time, flushing is carried out. The fluid supply is provided by a special hose. The shut-off valve effectively keeps water from possible leaks. It also shuts off the flow in those moments when the toilet cistern is full. The float is responsible for regulating the level of the collected water.
All this is called plumbing fittings. Without it, the correct and reliable operation of the device will not be possible..
The structure of the toilet bowl of the standard model consists of 2 main tanks. The first of them is a drain tank, which is located in the upper part of the device and is responsible for the accumulation and subsequent discharge of liquid into the second provided container – a bowl. Usually the latter is on the floor and is well attached to it. Today, bowls are also wall-mounted – it all depends on the design of the plumbing..
When you press down on the lever, it drains directly. Gravitational principle sends water flow to the bottom half. Thus, the liquid is sent to the toilet bowl, flushing all existing waste from it, sending them to the sewer drain. How the toilet is arranged depends on its immediate model. Today, there are models on sale that are installed in different ways and have many other noticeable differences..
Both the principle of its operation and the device depend on the modification of the plumbing device..
Many well-known manufacturers have established themselves on the modern market, producing toilets of various types. Let’s take a closer look at some of the more popular varieties of these plumbing fixtures..
With a high cistern
In the recent past, such models of toilet bowls were installed in ordinary apartments, but at the moment they can only be found in public places. The tank of these devices is mounted high – under the ceiling. It is fastened to the toilet with a pipe. Such plumbing has one important advantage: water flows directly into the bowl with a serious pressure, contributing to the effective flushing of all waste. But there are also disadvantages.. Toilets with a high cistern have a specific appearance, and when the water is drained, they turn out to be quite noisy.
With separate cistern
This is one of the most popular and frequently encountered variants of the compact toilet bowl. In its design, the tank and bowl are two separate components. This is the perfect solution for a small room where every centimeter matters..
Otherwise, toilet bowls of this modification are called monoblock. They are often made in a compact design, so they can be purchased for small bathrooms. Monolithic models are distinguished by the fact that in them the bowl and barrel are a single whole, do not have standard divisions, as in other existing options. Monolithic toilet bowls have several advantages:
- they look very neat and attractive;
- in places where the tank connects to the bowl, possible leaks are excluded, as is often the case with standard separate specimens.
Among the disadvantages are the following:
- modern monoblock toilets are more expensive than standard separate-type options, which repels many consumers;
- when transporting monoblock plumbing, certain difficulties may arise;
- if at least one of the components is damaged, you will have to completely replace the toilet with a new, properly working model.
The standard toilet found in many homes. The main feature of these plumbing devices is that their cistern is fixed on the bowl. The latter is equipped with a special shelf specially for fastening the tank..
But do not confuse the compact models with monoblock options – these are different devices.
These toilet bowls are among the most popular. These devices are installed in such a way that the toilet itself is mounted on the floor, and the cistern is fixed on it. These plumbing fixtures are found in most modern dwellings.. Their attractiveness to consumers is due to the following characteristics:
- affordable cost;
- simple and straightforward installation;
- all components can be repaired or replaced if necessary;
- leaks when using such a toilet are calculated immediately.
If a toilet of such a standard structure is installed at home, it complicates the process of cleaning the bathroom..
Stylish wall-mounted toilets are very popular today. They have an unusual appearance. They are attached to the wall using special installations.. Consider what are the main positive characteristics of such plumbing models:
- they have attractive and fashionable design, which will perfectly fit into the interior, designed in a modern style;
- high-quality hanging toilet bowls are designed for impressive loads, therefore, when using them, users can not be afraid that the bowl will fall off the established place – operation will be completely safe;
- with such fixtures it is much easier to keep the room clean – under the toilet, the user can freely wipe the dirty surfaces without moving or moving anything from their places;
- pendants look light and compact, therefore they are perfect for installation in a small room;
- when flushing water in such toilets the noise level is minimal.
Such unusual models of toilet bowls also have certain disadvantages:
- this plumbing usually costs more than classic floor-standing options;
- the installation process of a wall-mounted toilet turns out to be more complicated when compared with standard floor-standing units;
- it will not be possible to fix such a toilet if there is not a capital, but a plasterboard wall behind it;
- in the event of leaks, repair work is noticeably more complicated.
Not so long ago, electronic toilets began to go on sale. They are both floor-standing and wall-mounted. You can also meet a special folding version of the “smart” toilet. These plumbing devices can perform many different functions, depending on the specific model and its modification..
On sale you can find such copies in which the opening and closing of the lid is carried out automatically thanks to a special presence indicator.
A modern toilet with anti-vandal modification can boast of special durability. Often, such models are installed in toilets located in clubs, restaurants and cafes, where they can get damaged due to the actions of raging visitors. The body of such a product can be made of sheet material of suitable thickness..
Even after many years, the old anti-vandal toilet will not give anything away, since it is made of the appropriate material.. These models are highly hygienic and easy to clean (almost any cleaning agent will do).
Today’s toilets are divided according to the shape of the drain. The following options are available:
- straight (or horizontal) – such toilets are installed if the device cannot be fixed against the bell;
- oblique – a popular option, in which the release of the device is carried out directly into the bell of the sewerage bed;
- straight vertical – a toilet of this type is mounted when the sewer pipe is brought directly under it;
- vario – a shortened release type that is universal.
By the shape of the bowl, the toilet bowls are divided into the following options:
- funnel-shaped (the best option for flushing without splashing);
- models with a visor bowl type.
Materials and weight
Modern toilet bowls are made from different materials. Consider what options are most common, and what properties they have.
The cheapest material from which the considered plumbing devices are made. It has one serious drawback – it is characterized by a porous structure (based on white ceramics). In the area of abrasion of the glaze, the material can absorb dirt and even unpleasant odors. Because of this, plumbing often quickly loses its attractiveness.. Faience toilet bowls are widespread. They are presented in a rich assortment.
Often, such products are produced so attractive that it is difficult to distinguish them from more expensive porcelain options..
People often confuse this material with budget faience. Porcelain is also based on white clay, but during the manufacturing process this component is supplemented with feldspar and quartz. As a result, the plumbing is better and more reliable. Enamel on such devices does not wear off as quickly as in the case of faience specimens. Eventually porcelain toilets retain their original appearance for a long time.
The specified material in the production of sanitary equipment is used very rarely.. Modern toilets made of steel are highly practical and durable. They are not afraid of exposure to moisture. Such models are characterized by good strength characteristics, therefore they are often installed in various public institutions. The shelf life of steel toilets is superior to most other existing sanitary ware models.. These options are more expensive than popular porcelain devices..
Few people have met in their life toilets made of such a reliable material as cast iron. There is nothing surprising. Such products are extremely rare and not in all plumbing stores.. The market does not treat this material in the best way, because it is very heavy and bulky.. The listed disadvantages cancel out the existing advantages of such a technique..
Marble, artificial stone
The listed materials are expensive, therefore, toilets are made of them expensive. These products are distinguished by their attractive and rich design. With plumbing fixtures like this, users can make their toilet look luxurious.. Variants made of these materials serve for a long time, do not lose their original appearance. They are usually quite economical in terms of water consumption, since neither dirt nor bacteria can linger on their absolutely smooth surface..
It is difficult to find such plumbing in ordinary stores. More often it is made to order..
Toilet bowls are also made of acrylic. It is a material that is often used in the manufacture of inexpensive bathtubs.. Toilets of this type are usually lightweight and easy to install. They cannot be called durable. Most often, such plumbing is used when arranging a country house or other auxiliary territories. For home use, this is not the best option..
The weight of the toilet can be different. It all depends on the material from which it is made. For example, popular earthenware models usually weigh 27-31 kg. The weight of porcelain specimens is 25-28 kg. The lightest are plastic products, the weight of which rarely exceeds the 10 kg mark.
The dimensions of the toilet bowls vary. Small, medium and large specimens of various modifications are produced. The selection of a product of certain dimensions should be based on the area of the toilet. In a cramped and small room, it makes no sense to install a large and bulky toilet. The best solution for such conditions will be a copy of the “compact” format.
A wall-hung toilet will also work if it can be installed in the specified setting. In some stores, you can find corner plumbing models – they are often installed in small rooms. In more spacious environments, it is permissible to place models of toilets with medium or large sizes.. The main thing is to make sure that the more bulky plumbing does not block access to other objects and harmoniously fit into the existing environment..
The design of the plumbing in question provides for a number of necessary components, without which it will not be able to function correctly. Toilets are complemented by the following components:
- supply sleeve;
- gasket between the tank and the bowl;
- a set of fasteners depending on the type of device (floor, wall);
- flush plate pusher;
- corrugated flexible pipe;
- fasteners for the seat cover;
- a tube that is responsible for supplying water;
- armature holder;
- soundproofing pad (a universal model is sold in many stores);
- valve for lower inlet fittings;
- outlet valve seat;
- chopper pump;
The necessary components for different types of toilet bowls can be found in many stores specializing in the sale of such components..
Nowadays, many brands produce high-quality, reliable and practical toilet bowls.. Let’s analyze a small rating of the most popular and well-known manufacturers offering good plumbing fixtures for consumers to choose from..
- Santek. The top famous manufacturers are opened by the Russian company Santek. It is one of the most popular and renowned brands of sanitary ware. The company’s products are widely distributed and displayed in many stores. Mostly consumers leave positive reviews about cheap but high-quality Santek plumbing..
- Iddis. Another domestic brand that produces a wide range of good and inexpensive plumbing fixtures. The brand’s products are thought out literally to the smallest detail and are highly reliable. The manufacturer offers not only floor-standing, but also hanging toilets, both round and square..
- Laufen. Renowned Swiss manufacturer of functional, practical and attractive bathroom fixtures of impeccable quality. The range of the brand includes not only standard, but also modern shower toilets.
- IDO. Finnish manufacturer offers excellent toilet bowls. The brand’s assortment includes not only standard, but also sanitary ware models designed for use by people with disabilities. There are also high-quality suspended and console specimens..
- Roca. The famous Spanish brand specializes in the production of high quality sanitary ware of various types. The manufacturer offers customers wall-mounted and floor-standing toilets, as well as models of the “compact” format and options with a built-in cistern..
- Jacob. It is a French manufacturer of quality sanitary ware. Jacob has been producing high quality products since the late 19th century. The factories of the company are located in different European countries, in Morocco, Egypt. The brand’s assortment includes sanitary ware, which is made of cast iron, steel, acrylic and sanitary ceramics..
- Toto. Toilets of excellent quality are offered by the German brand Toto. In the assortment of a well-known manufacturer, there are many suspended, floor-standing toilets of various modifications. The company also produces many high quality plumbing accessories..
Consider what criteria should be based on, choosing the right toilet model correctly so that you don’t regret the perfect purchase later.
- Dimensions (edit). Consider the size of the bathroom and the size of the toilet. Above were highlighted the basic rules that should be followed in this case. For a small room, it makes sense to buy compact models, and medium and large copies will be appropriate in spacious spaces..
- Material. Look for plumbing fixtures made from safe and popular materials. The service life of the equipment and the comfort during its operation will depend on this factor..
- Functional. Decide whether you want to buy a simple toilet or a multifunctional model with additional options (for example, an electronic copy). Both devices can be found on sale. Make sure that it is advisable to buy a more expensive option with unnecessary configurations, because it often happens that none of the additional functions is needed during the operation of the product.
- Design. Pay due attention to the design of the plumbing device. A wall-mounted or floor-standing toilet should blend in harmoniously with the existing environment. Fortunately, stores today sell models in different shapes and colors, so customers have plenty to choose from..
- Condition of plumbing. It is worth buying the selected toilet only after a detailed examination. There should not be a single defect on the device: chips, cracks, damaged enamel, yellow spots and other defects. If you have noticed any, it is advisable to refuse the purchase, even if the seller offers a tempting discount..
- Manufacturer. It is recommended to buy only shiny quality branded toilets. Well-known companies produce high-quality and practical products that both look more attractive and are designed for many years of operation..
Where to place?
Consider where you can place the toilet in the room:
- in a narrow and long room, plumbing is usually placed along the wall;
- corner toilets are placed only in the corner of the room;
- if there is a bidet in the room, it is placed at a distance of 38-45 cm from the toilet;
- the toilet should be placed as close as possible to the sewer riser.
When placing the toilet (especially in a tiny room), you need to make sure that it is convenient to use it, and it does not block access to other objects.
Before starting the installation procedures for installing the toilet, it is advisable to draw up and have on hand a detailed diagram or drawing of the planned work. Let’s consider the procedure using the example of fixing a classic floor-standing device.
- First you need to dismantle the old toilet, if there is one in the room. To do this, it is detached from all communications and systems, all liquids are drained.
- The empty tank is removed from the fasteners. Unscrew the nuts on the back of the toilet, detach it from the sewer system. To loosen the drain, it is worth swinging the plumbing from side to side.
- The remaining water must be drained, tilting the toilet.
- The sewer hole is cleared of dirt. For a while, an open hole can be closed with a woven gag or a cork made of wood..
The assembly of a new sanitary unit is generally carried out as follows.
- Install the flush mechanism into the cistern of the new toilet. Basically, it comes in a set with plumbing. When installing the mechanism, look carefully at the contacting surfaces. If you notice a burr, remove it.
- A rubber sealing washer must be put on the mechanism. The device must be immersed in the toilet cistern, and then fixed with a nut.
- A cistern equipped with a drain mechanism must be installed in the shelf of the toilet bowl. The existing components are attached with nuts and bolts. Before that, put on the fasteners washers and seals made of rubberized material..
Installation of equipment on the floor is carried out in the following order:
- make the markup;
- prepare holes for fasteners using a punch;
- install the bowl;
- a rubber gasket or a silicone layer is applied to the allocated place for landing;
- put the toilet in its place and press it to the floor surface;
- insert the bushings into the holes made for fasteners, tighten the screws without making great efforts;
- fix everything with plugs;
- remove the remaining silicone layer.
Next, the plumbing is connected to all the necessary systems, provided that the taps are closed.
How to choose a high-quality toilet and what to look for when choosing, see the next video.