Now manufacturers present a huge number of different types of wallpaper, which differ in their color, pattern and texture. And in order to diversify the interior, many resort to combining wallpaper. It is important to know the rules for combining textures and types of different combinations..
In order to properly combine materials, it is better to choose companion wallpaper. They will allow you to make a beautiful combination and even make fashionable zoning. In this case, you can use both options for two paired colors, and the layout of three types of wallpaper..
Today there are several different ways to combine, which allow you to combine wallpapers of different colors and textures in one interior:
- The first way is spectrum. It involves a combination of wallpaper in several different shades that are included in the same color scheme. So, you can combine sand and gold, beige and coffee, blue and blue, emerald and light green tone.
Such combinations look very harmonious. The wallpaper will perfectly complement each other. Thus, it will be possible to decorate each individual wall surface with wallpaper of different colors..
- Balancing method. It is characterized by a combination of two types of wallpaper. Moreover, the main one in this case will be the wall covering, made in one calm color scheme without patterns and motley drawings. Such coverage is complemented with bright saturated wallpaper with a variegated pattern and unusual ornament. But at the same time, the background of the wallpaper with patterns and the drawings themselves are selected to match the color of the monochromatic coating. It is better if they are made in the same color scheme..
- Contrast method. It offers a selection of wallpapers of opposite colors. One color should be active, bright, the second – passive, calm. The second color should smooth out the saturation of the first and complement it. In general, this method allows you to very harmoniously decorate the wall..
- Splitting a wall. In this case, both horizontal and vertical combination is applied. You can use different types of wallpaper on the same wall, decorating the top with, for example, plain wallpaper, and the bottom with a patterned cover. Vertical partitioning of walls is also very popular. It is very often used when zoning spacious rooms or studio apartments. So you can select different functional zones and make several small zones out of one large room..
- Combination of textures. This method is also very popular. Some combine coatings that have different textures. But at the same time, if this method is used, then most often the colors of the wallpaper are selected as close as possible in shade. So you can add accents and make the interior more interesting. This combination technique will make the interior more interesting and effective..
If you use these methods correctly and choose them, depending on the interior of the room and on the size of the room, then you can play with the light, as well as with the dimensions of the room. So, in contrast, you can make the room visually wider or stretch it..
- Combination by inserts. Thus, most often they try to diversify the wall if the main background has already been selected. You choose inserts from fairly dense wallpaper and decorate the walls with them. Inserts can be cut in the form of a square, rectangle, oval, rhombus. In this case, everything will be limited only by your imagination. The inserts can simply be glued to the wall, or you can close their edges with borders or planks. Thus, you can extend the life of such a design and the edges of the wallpaper will not bulge..
- Volumetric insertion method. This method is very often used in zoning. These inserts take up more wall space than ordinary ones. In this way, you can select a work area in one room, a sleeping area, a play area, if it is a nursery. The room is divided into sectors, the first of which is distinguished by bright and saturated colors, and the second is calmer. Moreover, one of these two sectors should be voluminous..
- Combination with flaps. This method is most suitable for children’s rooms. In addition, it can be used by those who love an unusual bright interior and are open to all experiments. You can cut small patches out of all the wallpaper you have that is left over from the renovation. But all these patches must have at least one common shade or common texture. Flap inserts can be glued overlapping or back to back.
- Combining by selecting protrusions. In some apartments, wallpaper allows you to decorate existing niches and ledges in some way. After all, not in all apartments such features of the walls look elegant, but, on the contrary, are a lack of the interior. But this drawback can be easily brightened up and made a big plus of the interior out of it. As a rule, a niche or ledge is pasted over with brighter contrasting wallpaper compared to the background. Moreover, for their decoration, wallpaper with a voluminous texture or an unusual pattern is often used..
- Combination with small vertical stripes. This design technique allows you to change the dimensions of the room. It involves the frequent alternation of strips of wall coverings of different colors. Thus, by choosing the right colors and patterns, you can make the interior more spectacular and elegant. In this case, rolls of the same width are purchased or wallpaper is cut into strips. The stripes alternate either one after two, or one after one, or two after two. One wall can be made monochromatic, and on the other, four or six different canvases can be alternated at once.
In addition, in this case, the color scheme can be completely contrasting. So you can stretch the room up and to the sides. Moreover, you can use not only monochrome shades, but also bright ornamental coatings..
Based on materials
Wallpaper can be combined both with each other and with other finishing materials. You can choose different models for painting, you can use a combination of ordinary walls, covered with wallpaper, with paint. The combination of pastel wallpaper with wood and fabric looks very good. Equally common is combination of decorative plaster and wallpaper. Also, facing stone is very often used to decorate one of the accent walls in combination with wallpaper..
The size arrangement of the wallpaper is quite complex. For example, you can make narrower sections of wallpaper at the corners of a room, and wider ones along wide walls. Also, the dimensions should be taken into account when combining horizontally.. The combination of wallpaper top and bottom should be 3: 2, that is, the bottom bar should always be narrower than the top.
Combining wallpaper colors is a very difficult task. In doing so, it is important to know a few rules. Initially, you need to decide on one basic, basic shade, which will be present not only on the walls, but also in interior items. It should be chosen from several basic colors, which include: red, orange, yellow, blue, green, purple, white, black. Light options are also often used as a base, such as beige, peach, taupe and even dull sand..
The simplest is combination of two adjacent shades from the same color scheme. It looks very discreet and calm. A more complex combination of several colors, which are also close in color, in this case it is important to correctly observe the transition from color to color.
More unusual and bold is the combination of contrasting colors in shades. In this case, you can choose diametrically opposite tones in the palette and combine them both within different walls and within the same surface. The main thing, the main color should be combined with furniture and other coatings.
If your room is small in size, then in this case it is better to purchase colored wallpaper in light colors and give preference to the simplest and most calm combination. If you have a large room, then you can choose a brighter contrasting combination..
If your room is decorated in dark shades, then it is better to shade them with opposite light tones..
But if the interior of the room is designed in soothing colors, then you can choose a similar in color scheme, but a brighter contrasting color of the wallpaper.. Correctly selected color will emphasize all the advantages of the room and its interior. He should divert attention from all the imperfections of the room..
If you nevertheless decide to combine two bright shades of wallpaper, then a calmer color should be glued between them, which will provide a transition from one color to another and become their background.. Each color in the interior is combined with a certain shade:
- Beige goes well with white wallpaper. Such a combination can bring comfort and harmony to any room and make the interior brighter and more calm. But if you supplement it with a darker color by choosing burgundy wallpaper, then the room will look quite austere, but the interior will become more sophisticated..
- The color pink is most often used for decorating children’s and bedrooms. It is often combined with light shades. A popular combination with white, brown, and lilac. Pink and beige look just as harmonious as pink and blue. In this case, try not to get bright cold shades of wallpaper in combination with this color..
- Peach color looks great in combination with beige, golden and even blue tints of wallpaper. Beige color makes the room warmer and more comfortable, and being in it is more pleasant..
- Brown wallpapers are usually purchased to combine with beige, yellow and gold. The combination of brown and scarlet looks very bright and unusual..
- The purple shade is interestingly combined with blue, white and silver options. Such wallpaper can become a highlight of the interior..
- Blue wallpapers are ideally combined with white and brown, as well as many other tones included in the pastel color scheme. Thus, you can beautifully decorate the nursery and make the interior more delicate and elegant..
Among the mistakes that often occur when combining, the most common are the following:
- Using wallpaper of different thickness. With this combination, the walls look sloppy, since defects are visible at the joints. To do this, you have to additionally hide them and fix them, otherwise the walls will look very ugly..
- Combining different types of patterns. Some people use completely different prints within the same room, for example, geometric and floral. This combination is unacceptable, since it violates the harmony in the interior..
- Use of coatings of different quality. This is another common mistake that highlights the poor quality of one of the coatings. Do not try to save money on those wallpapers that you collect to glue on a smaller wall. It is better if you purchase models from the same collection of the same quality..
- Errors in horizontal combining. Many people confuse the design of the lower and upper parts of the walls with a horizontal combination of wallpaper. It is important that the bottom of the wallpaper is with a large pattern, and the top is with a small one. Otherwise, you can visually narrow the room and make its interior tasteless..
- Another mistake when combining horizontally is using a darker shade at the top of the wall. This combination is unacceptable. Light wallpapers should always be at the top, and dark ones at the bottom..
- Incorrect joint design. Another common mistake when gluing different wallpapers. The edges of all coatings must be carefully cut and the joints must be glued with high quality. The transition should be smooth, and the contrasting combination should not highlight the joining of two different coatings. It is necessary to maintain the level of the lines and correctly carry out the marking.
Decorating is a very important component when combining wallpaper. As a rule, wallpaper with a pattern is much more difficult to combine than plain options. Decorating with large flowers is very popular. At the same time, they combine floral patterns of different sizes. You can pick up options that have a decor in the form of floral stripes. The floral pattern also looks very nice in rooms in addition to large flowers..
As a decor option, you can purchase photowall-paper. Decorating with such wallpaper assumes an emphasis on one wall. It will feature a large pattern or painting. Wall decoration with monograms wallpaper is also very popular..
Monochromatic classic wallpapers with such patterns look very elegant and are often used to decorate classic interiors..
Nowadays, it is customary to combine wallpaper with abstract patterns and coverings with a geometric print. The two types of pattern should be harmoniously combined in terms of color, each of them should support the other. It can be paired partner wallpapers.
The decor with stripes looks very bright. In this case, contrasting color combinations are chosen. They allow zoning and make the room more interesting. The most juicy is the combination of red and white. These stripes are perfect for modern interiors..
As for the vertical stripes, then they allow you to visually stretch the room up and expand it. Some even transfer the drawing from the walls to the ceiling, which seems to be a continuation of one of the accent walls. This combination is a very unusual decorative move that can surprise your guests..
Very interesting is the decoration of the walls with wide stripes of bright contrasting wallpaper opposite each other. Thus, you can diversify the design and shorten the length of the room – the corridor. In order, on the contrary, to expand a rectangular room, it is better to paste the wallpaper asymmetrically. It is better to glue a wide strip of such a wall covering in the middle on a longer wall, and glue narrow double strips of wallpaper on an adjacent wall. In this case, the general base coat should be uniform on all walls..
Looks interesting in the interior striping wallpaper. Two long walls are pasted over with plain wallpaper, and two short ones – with a combination of the main striped color with a contrasting one. Most often, a combination of white and black, as well as red and white is used. Half-wrapping in the interior should be used very carefully..
In order to make the interior more calm, it is better to arrange thin stripes that will belong to the same color scheme. This wall decoration will be more measured and soft..
For modern interiors, you can use combination of narrow contrasting stripes. This is a bright and stylish solution. In order to decorate the interior in different styles, a different combination of stripes is used. So, in a classic-style interior, they prefer to place stripes vertically, while using shades related to pastel colors, such as light pink, beige, pale brown
For a vintage style, softer shades and coffee options are also used. The most striking is the style pop Art. It is a combination of stripes of wallpaper in contrasting colors, such as white, red, yellow, green and others..
Contemporary examples and variants
In rooms with different purposes and with different interiors, different rules for combining wallpaper are used. For example, in the attic, the wall covering often flows smoothly into the ceiling. So, for the decoration of the hall, it is better to use the zoning method. It allows you to divide a large spacious room into several functional areas for work, relaxation and meeting guests..
For this most often they use the vertical method of combining wallpaper. Also, when decorating this room, you need to choose one background color of a calm shade, and use the second in order to place accents. It is also permissible to use photowall-paper in the hall, but it is better to glue them only on a shorter wall in the recreation area.
In the bedroom, the combination should be the most harmonious and restrained.. Try to get light wallpapers that go well with each other. and belong to the same color scheme. A combination of beige with brown or olive and terracotta is perfect. A horizontal combination is perfect for a bedroom. In this case, you can give preference to light wallpaper with monograms on the upper part of the walls and darker wallpaper on the lower part..
For the kitchen, you can use brighter and more juicy combinations, especially for spacious rooms. So, most often for such a room they use a yellow, green, olive, blue, orange shade..
But for small kitchens, it is better to use wall coverings in light shades with a small pattern..
For information on how to properly combine wallpaper in an apartment, see the next video.