Each item of construction and repair work to be carried out needs a properly selected inventory. It is impossible to perform the assigned task with high quality if the wrong tool is chosen. Therefore, even in order to drill a hole in the tile for an outlet or switch, you need to use a special tool – a crown.
What it is?
A tile crown is a straight piece of hollow steel pipe, one end of which is diamond-coated or has carbide segments (teeth). The other side of the nozzle has a fastening mechanism (flange).
Such technical devices are used for cutting porcelain stoneware, ceramic, mosaic and tile..
The crown itself is of no use, since it does not work separately without a special drill or perforator. The first tool should have the option of low revolutions, and the second – the function of turning off the “percussion mechanism”. Thanks to these features, drilling holes in the tiles will be efficient and will not require significant physical effort..
The most demanded and often purchased are crowns with a diameter of 40 and 68 mm, 100 and 110 mm. This number of crowns will be enough to carry out all the required work on the tile..
Cutting tiles will become a time consuming and time consuming process if you do not know which nozzle is needed..
The following types of crowns are presented on the modern market:
- KS series.
Diamond core bits are coated with diamond grit, which is in contact with the working surface of the tile. Such cutters are distinguished by high strength, with their help you can better process the hard coating of decorative material. Diamond core bits are produced with a working ring diameter of 10 mm and more.. You can buy both a separate attachment and in a ready-made set of several pieces of different sizes.
To work with such a model, you can use a conventional drill, but in this case, the holes may turn out to be uneven., since the crown often slips off (due to the lack of a centering drill), and the resulting edges need to be refined. Therefore, the best option for work will be a stationary machine, preferably with water cooling..
Drill manipulation requires certain experience and skills. but if adhesive paper tape is glued to the tip, the crown will not slip on a smooth surface.
Thus, diamond spraying is called by tilers the most reliable and effective. The only drawback is the cost, which exceeds the price of all other types of crowns..
Carbide designs have a centering carbide drill, thanks to which a simple electric drill can be used in the work. This type of attachment is most often sold in a set.. Unlike diamond cutters, carbide options are cheaper. Pricing depends on the diameter: the larger the crown, the more expensive it is.
Another advantage of the carbide packing lies in the absence of the need for constant liquid cooling. However, like any other species, it works effectively only at a drill speed of up to 500 rpm, but no more.
This type of crowns also has a negative side: they break quickly, and it is much more difficult to drill with them than with other models..
If used ineptly, cracks may appear on the surface of the tile..
KS series bits are designed for drilling holes in high strength materials. When working with them, a shock-free method is used, which protects the tile surface from vibration loads and, as a result, from destruction..
A tile is a rather fragile, but at the same time, a very durable product, so the process of drilling it requires accuracy. With all the variety of crowns on the modern Russian market, making a choice in favor of one or another instrument can be difficult..
Therefore, before buying a nozzle, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Bit shank (flange), or rather, its type. This element must match the type of connector in the hammer drill or electric drill. A thin flange with a smooth surface is much more common and is considered to be the fastest to wear. Its unreliability is due to poor fixation in the instrument..
It is better to choose a type with a triangular or hexagonal shape – such a nozzle will be more reliable, although it will not be easy to find a similar one.
- The second important characteristic of the crown is diameter. This parameter determines both the size of the hole to be drilled and the price of the device itself. The diameter is selected for the dimensions of the products where the hole is to be made. For example, to install a rosette, a crown with a diameter of 68 mm is required..
- The third parameter on which the choice of cutter depends is type of drilling of decorative coating. They produce bits for wet and dry drilling. In the first case, it is assumed that a liquid is supplied to cool the nozzle and flush out the dust formed during the drilling process. This type of tilers is called the best and is most often used for diamond-coated bits. When it is not possible to supply liquid, the dry drilling method is used..
In addition to general tips, it is worth reading the recommendations of masters and tile specialists. They indicate the mandatory presence of a diameter mark on the crown itself. Others focus on the presence of a divorce of teeth, since cheap materials may not have them at all. These low-grade crowns will not be able to drill through the tile floor., but an inexperienced buyer can find out about this only directly during the cutting of the tile.
Experts point out what to make a hole in red clay tiles, you can use a diamond-coated nozzle and a carbide cutter. Also, a tool with a precious dusting can easily cope with porcelain stoneware, as well as nozzles of the KS series..
Another recommendation is to buy a set of crowns better. Thus, you can save money and avoid the mistake of choosing the wrong diameter.. Most of the masters give preference to sets with different types of crowns.. Thanks to simple devices on ceramic, porcelain stoneware, tile and mosaic tiles, smooth edges are obtained without chips and cracks..
Processing of facing materials does not take a lot of time and effort if you choose high-quality products. This is only possible if the purchased attachments were created by bona fide manufacturers, which include:
- Bosch – the brand specializes in the manufacture of diamond-coated nozzles. Unlike other companies, Bosch diamond core bits have centering drills, which greatly simplifies the process of drilling a hole..
- INTERTOOL. From the conveyors of this brand, nozzles made of carbide materials are sold, which are not afraid of high temperatures, which allows you to work with a dry method of cutting decorative coating.
- DeWALT. Crowns from this manufacturer are distinguished by a non-standard shape of the cutting body. They easily “penetrate” the tiles, do not slide out, thereby speeding up the workflow.
- “Zubr”. Crowns of a domestic manufacturer are suitable for drills of all famous brands. They are distinguished by a long service life, accuracy and cleanliness of holes in any materials.
For an overview of diamond core bits for tiles, see the following video.