Very often in modern interiors you can find a combination of sliding wardrobes in the entire height of the room with stretch ceilings. It is not in vain that these interior objects have earned popular love: you can choose a design suitable for any room, and both the wardrobe and the ceiling will serve for a very long time, while requiring minimal maintenance. However, an almost philosophical question arises: what comes first – the ceiling or the wardrobe? Let’s try to figure it out.
What to do first
You need to start by assessing what is already in the room. If the room already has a wardrobe, it means that the suspended ceiling must be carried out taking into account the existence of built-in furniture. And if stretch ceilings are installed, it is necessary to select such a height of the wardrobe so that it fits into the existing space.
If the apartment is under renovation, there is no furniture in it and the ceiling is not installed, then you can choose from the following options:
- stretch ceiling and wardrobe with lid. Since in this case the furniture does not come into contact with the ceiling, the installation procedure for this combination is not critical. The height of the wardrobe should be slightly lower than the stretch ceilings. The size of the gap can range from a few centimeters to half a meter or more. The ceiling is stretched along the entire perimeter of the room, and it will be possible to move the wardrobe at any time without damage to it;
- stretch ceiling exists inside wardrobes. This installation method is convenient for the possibility of creating a ceiling light inside the furniture cabinet, as well as the fact that the useful height of the cabinet will be equal to the height of the room. In this case, first, the ceiling sheet is fixed and pulled, and then the sliding cabinet doors are installed;
- the stretch ceiling starts from the doors of the wardrobe and is parallel to the guide. In this case, the cabinet is made without a lid, and its height corresponds to the level of the concrete ceiling of the room. With this option, the box and the doors of the wardrobe are installed first, and the adjacent wooden beam serves as the basis for fixing the ceiling. There is no possibility of rearranging the wardrobe, but it will be easy to dismantle it without damaging the stretch ceiling;
- the ceiling is attached to the decorative strip (false panel) of the wardrobe. The method is easy to implement, looks aesthetically pleasing and allows you to dismantle the ceiling or wardrobe without prejudice to each other. In this case, furniture is installed earlier for subsequent attachment to its false panel of the stretch ceiling.
Consider the basics of installing a wardrobe and a ceiling in each of the methods proposed above.
- Sliding wardrobe with stretch ceiling. In the place where it is supposed to place the doors of the wardrobe, a strong wooden beam is fixed to the ceiling. It will serve simultaneously for fixing the stretch ceiling and for the sliding wardrobe rails. It is very important to install the timber strictly parallel to the wall – the correct installation of the furniture will depend on this. After installing the timber, the cabinet rails are attached to it, on which the doors will then be installed.
At the same stage, electrical work is carried out: wiring, installation of mortgages, including in the space of the future wardrobe. If the plans include the installation of an air conditioner or other ceiling electrical appliance, this should also be taken into account..
The next step is to install and stretch the ceiling sheet. After installing it and gluing the ceiling plinth, you can put the doors and internal shelves of the wardrobe.
- Installation of stretch ceilings with an existing wardrobe. Here, the work, as in the previous case, begins with the installation of a wooden beam on the ceiling. The difference is that it is attached in front of the sliding wardrobe rails. The beam will fasten one of the sides of the ceiling frame, on which the canvas will be stretched.
Electrical wiring is also done prior to installing the ceiling. In addition to the main lighting of the room, it would be useful to make a row of lamps in front of the cabinet doors. Better if they are LED or halogen.
- Fastening to the decorative panel. In this case, you first need to put a wardrobe. In a wooden beam, attached to a concrete ceiling, guides for the future cabinet are fixed. A false panel is subsequently attached to the same bar – the front plank of the furniture. It will act as an attachment for the stretch ceiling. The result will be the effect of the integrity of the wardrobe and the ceiling. Also, this installation scheme is distinguished by the independence of the elements – you can dismantle the wardrobe or ceiling without damage.
With the help of a stretch ceiling, you can perform a very useful lighting function for a wardrobe. This can be done even if the cabinet is already in the room. It is important when designing the wiring to determine where the cabinet lighting is needed, and to make mortgages in the corresponding parts of the ceiling. The most common place for installation is the visor of the furniture, or, if it is absent, the place in front of the cabinet doors. In the case of a stretch ceiling in a wardrobe, it will be appropriate to carry out lighting inside the furniture. It is possible to install a motion sensor that will automatically turn on the light when the cabinet doors are opened.
Standard recommendations for installing the backlight:
- install light sources above the doors of the wardrobe;
- it is better to make the light diffused to avoid harsh shadows in the mirror;
- the optimal number of light sources is equal to the number of doors in the wardrobe.
You can use LED strip of different colors instead of point sources. It will help create an unusual atmosphere in the room..
If a stretch ceiling is already installed in the room, be careful when assembling furniture. Ceilings are easily damaged by sharp edges and objects.
With a small gap between the cover of the wardrobe and the stretch ceiling, you can use a ceiling plinth. You will get a sense of the integrity of the structure.
Do not be lazy to calculate all the dimensions at the planning stage, before purchasing furniture. A few centimeters can become critical when installing a wardrobe or ceiling.
If you are making a ceiling first, be sure to inform the craftsmen about your intention to install a wardrobe. Perhaps they will give you useful advice on installation, and will take into account your wishes when installing the ceiling. It is worth expressing your desires when installing a wardrobe.
Interesting solutions in interior design
This wall-to-wall wardrobe was made before the installation of the ceilings. There is a lighting in the decorative strip of the cabinet.
The classic version of the sliding wardrobe with a lid and independent installation of ceilings removes all restrictions on the rearrangement of furniture in the future. Here you can see that the stretch ceiling also takes up the space of the wardrobe.
In this version, the height of the wardrobe is much lower than the height of the room. The cabinet and the ceiling are independent of each other. But this does not prevent the closet from organically filling the space of the room..